Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rebuilt the top end on a ZL 600 that blew a piston I also went through the carbs. Now I can’t get it to start. I have spark and after pulling a dozen times I check the plugs and their wet. I have rebuilt top ends before with no problem any suggestions? Are there any timing marks I have to set? I must be missing something. :bash:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just rebuilt the top end on a ZL 600 that blew a piston I also went through the carbs. Now I can’t get it to start. I have spark and after pulling a dozen times I check the plugs and their wet. I have rebuilt top ends before with no problem any suggestions? Are there any timing marks I have to set? I must be missing something. :bash:[/b]

i know it sounds stupid but check compression and check fuel mixture screws on carbs unless efi also try unpluging kill button plug in handlebar wiring to disable throttle safety system put some 50 to 1 gas/oil down the cylinders and try to get it to pop, cant think of much else all u should need it fuel spark and compression if you didnt touch stator the timing would not be effected and im pretty sure u have a keyed timing system anyhow so u cant adjust timing without buying an offset key no timing marks on that motor good luck

also if u blew a piston make sure u know why i just had a friend blow up his zr800 the first ride put it back together and took it out for 5 min and did it again never caught a broken oil cable so not geting oil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guy’s

I checked the compression and one cylinder was low. I pulled the Jug and found the rings had compressed into the new piston. Not enough clearance in the groove. :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Obviously, if you're getting spark, it's not a safety switch or kill switch problem. Your rings being "compressed into the groove" sounds like a case of installing rings upside down to me. If those are keystone rings, you needs to make sure you have the correct side up or the ring will be twisted in forcing it into the groove and it won't be able to move. You're probably lucky it didn't start or those rings being stuck could have created havoc in the cylinder.

Take those rings out. As long as you don't bend or otherwise force them you can probably use them anyway. Try them alone in the cylinder using the piston to push them in evenly. Check to make sure the ring end gap on each is correct for the engine - probably somewhere between 0.005" and 0.015" is allowable tolerance - but check the specs to see for sure! Make sure you re-install them correctly and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Thanks Guy’s

I checked the compression and one cylinder was low. I pulled the Jug and found the rings had compressed into the new piston. Not enough clearance in the groove. :)[/b]
What kind of pistons did you use? That might be suspect quality, so I hope they weren't OEM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rings were on right I tried to flip them and they won't go on at all. I found two burs where the ends meet at the pins. I guess that’s what you get when you try to save a buck and go with an off brand. I'm getting too old for this crap can anyone say four stroke! I’ve worked on four strokes engines that were still running that basically had no rings left. There heavy but there not as fussy as the new two strokes seem to be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts