Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have problems with the carb's screwing up because the snow is getting in the carb?? I been having problems with my 500 all winter long and even blew a piston. The dealer says NOW that the problem is from SNOW. I can't believe that you can't ride a snowmoble in the snow?
So they taped up my hood vents ( no kidding). I don't think sooooo.  

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Seems like you should be able to get a filter for your air box or something rather than having to tape your vents.  That is pretty lame of your dealer to do!

What year sled do you have?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2002 500 Flatslide.. It does have filters on each side. It seems that if you can first get it warm and then shut it off it helps it a little.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Try using a set of K&N's on it with a set of pre-filter on em.  run them on my race sleds, and have never had a prob with snow getting into the engine.    just jet accordingly and they should work fine and almost never need cleaning.     and then you can get rid of that ugly tape on your hood :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Try this, I read it on a previous post.  While the sled is running, spray some starting fluid around the boots and the carbs.  If the idle picks up, you have a leak somewhere that snow can get thru.  Check your intake boots, that is what I suspect, I had a problem with that on my 98 ZRT 600 and my wife's 00 ZR 600.  They tend to dry rot.  Even though your sled is new, sometimes AC gets bad ones from their supplier.  Also, on my sleds the boot just loosely slipped over the carb and there were some gaps, so I put plastic wire zip ties over the ends to seal it up.  Biiiiiiiiiiig difference.  Check yours and see what they look like.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have this problem with my sno pro i don't know that snow is acually getting in the carbs of mine but know people that have burnt theirs up because of it.  I think that the snow just clogs the foam not alowing it to breath. This happens when it snows or when i go thouh deep snow. I think you can get prefilters that go on the hood to stop the snow.  Another way to check for leaks is to take a butane torch (not lit, but on) and move it around places were you think it is leaking if it runs better you have a leak in that spot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That is the exact same problem that I am having with my sled.  Let me know what you find out.  I kind of suspected that it might be moisture in the carbs.  If I change to new plugs or shut the sled off it will run fine.  Otherwise it doesn't run very well from about 4-6500 RPM.  It also has erratic idling when it is running this way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After running er this weekend it still ran poorly .This was with the taped off grill too. Mostly at idle and mostly at starup until it got warmed up .It would not idle very well and  I would have to shut it off for a while after it warmed up then restart it . It would run fine after that for a couple hours and then run bad again. I brought it back AGAIN to my dealer (Fifth time now.I started it up outside for him and it did not idle for him either . I want them to put a new set of carbs on it or a new sled as I am pretty pissed off at the whole thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A buddy of mine bought a 00' zr600 leftover and brought it in for a carb boot recall.  His dealer replaced the carb boots due to them "dry rotting" cracking.  Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts