Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put reverse in my sled, shop manual says to use GL3 #75 or #80, I assume that means wieght. I put in Quakerstate synthectic 75-90 wt., which is a GL5 rating which is a higher rating.  I called Yamaha about parts and ask the tech what his thoughts where and wasn't very helpful, said as long as its good in freezing temperature. It says on the bottle "good to subzero temperature" What are you running?

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I highly recomend Amsoil chaincase lubricant. Compare it too other brands and you can clearly see the difference.

·
Registered
328 Posts
permafrost, could you possibly give me a comparison of the amsoil synthetic to ski-doo synthetic?  ski-doo syn. chaincase oil is all I have used and just figured synthetic was synthetic.  I have never had any problems with ski-doo syn. chaincase oil.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
NP 2tone800x This summer on one of those 35 degree hellish days i took some doo syn chaincase oil and the amsoil and put them in 2 different containers. The amsoil was clear and moved around like water. The Doo syn was yellowish and slowly poured sort of like honey. The amsoil costs me $6CAN/change compared too $16 /chng. That way i can change the chaincase oil  twice a year while saving money and having clean oil in the chaincase. I would also make the claim that it is less power robbing by offering less resistance.There is no need to let the chaincase rob anymore power than it alreadys does.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks permafrost, I too have noticed ski-doo's chaincase oil pours like syrup.  This fall when I change the oil I will get amsoil.  I am not aware of anyone who sells it in my area, so I may have to do some looking to find it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've been running polaris synthetic chaincase oil in my Doo's, Polaris syn, chaincase oil is $4.00 a quart U.S., the Ski Doo marketing boys want $14.00 U.S. for 16 oz!!!......they must be smoking something???  and I've checked all over for a better price.....  
I'm hearing more and more good comments on amsoil products, I'm considering switching to them this season....
DooZ....  

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Augie - I too have been using ATF for a long time. Actually Mopar ATF4.

·
Registered
393 Posts
i have been running mobil 1 synthetic 75-90 gear oil for a number of years in my sleds with no problems. i have a couple of buddies that mix regular gear oil with atf with no problems....mike

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
It is only a chaincase, nothing near the complexity of an automatic car tranny. So any lube will work as long as it has a low pour temp: ie,-40 <. But as in ,you can put ATF in your power steering in a car for a subsitute, I would not. Unless it is an old junker.  I'll stick to the recomended fluid. At $6CAN /chng. It is worth it for my sled, which cost me thousands

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I've been using Amsoil synthetic for several seasons now, its priced reasonable and works great making it affordable to change the oil several times a season. To me it seems like cheap insurance against a chaincase failure. Rick.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
permafrost - My logic for using the ATF is like this. If Ford, GM, Chrysler use the same fluid in the transfer-case of their 4x4 vehicles, it should be good enough for a sled.

The TCases are the same thing inside, a link belt chain over 2 gears. I figure if it is good enough for a loaded 10,000 lb truck with 500+ ft. lbs. is is good enough for my 750 lb 100ft. lb. sled!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Good point.

But I still tend to baby my toys more than my vehicles, so I run amsoil.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Warranty is the big reason for me as if the dealer gets wind of ATF in my chaincase I dont know what he would say.

Good point on the transfer cases as i run Amsoil ATF+4 in the NP 241 in the Dodge.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My bearings went out during one of my trips to the UP.  Had a mechanic replace them at the "Shell station" in Paradise.  Obviously during the replacement, he emptied and refilled the chain case.  He showed me some deposits inside and asked me what type of oil I replaced.  I told him I was unsure, but I was fairly certain it was A/C chaincase oil.  He said the deposits were due to the mixing of synthetic and non-synthetic oil.  And stated if you mix the two you'll end up getting these goopy deposits.  Need to be careful to get rid off all the old oil if you change types.  

I'm not sure of the validity of those statements as far as confirming them.  Has anyone seen these things happen with their chaincase.  BTW: I forgot to find out if he put "synthetic" or "non-synthetic" oil in there after hearing the story.  

I had replaced the chain oil at 4,000 miles when I replaced the chain itself with a new one (just for routine maintainance/safety reasons).  The bearings were replaced at 5500 miles.  (About the same time as the hyfax.)  This was on a 2000 ZR600.

Greg

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Actually, now that you mention it, when I put syn in my chain case last year, I started getting a black goo (for lack of a better term) sticking to the top of the dip stick.

The first few times I checked it, I had to wipe the stick clean.  Since then, there is very little.  I wonder if thats some kind of incompatability with the old oil?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I use Klotz.

·
Registered
226 Posts
When a sled is new (or new chain and gears) it should be done at a 10 hr check up. After that I do mine once a year.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts