Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often show one change the oil and what is the best oil to use.

What is the best oil to use for the injection mix.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I change mine all the time, but thats due to me changing gears on a regular basis. I would think once a year would be fine for the average trail rider. Any synthetic oil will be fine and I have heard of guys using automotive lube with good luck also.
Speaking of which, this reminds me of another complaint.hehe Why don't sleds have a drain plug that exits the bottom of the sled rather than spilling it all over!!? I know you can tilt it on its side, and try and put a small pan or rags under it, but you ALWAYS end up spilling some and it's a mo-fo to try and clean! I need to become an engineer for cat and set them straight!LOL :p
Sorry all to get off track... :sarcasm:

·
Registered
508 Posts
I know the cats DO have a drain plug for the chain case. At least my 95 does so I would assume the newer sleds do. Look under the sled right below the chain case.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
My '97 didn't have a drain pug, and it doesn't look like my new one does either, but I haven't looked real close on that one yet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was told the same thing, that it is in the tunnel right under the chaincase, I looked my ZL over and couldn't find it. When I took the chain case cover off I didn't see a place inside there that had a plug coming up into it to drain the fluid out of. It was messy but it needed it the oil looked bad and had alot of grease laying in the bottom from greasing the zerk on the drive axle, didn't realize grease worked its way into the chaincase.

Just a side note, I had poured some ER into the chaincase as they advertise it bonds to the metal etc, well the bolt on the top gear worked its way loose and everything inside came loose on the first day on a snowmobile trip last year. Mechanic later stated it looked like the bolt wasn't loctited from the factory. Always wondered if that ER fluid didn't do too good a job and penetrated the threads on that bolt and loosened the hold it had?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Drain plug is on the inside of the tunnel. Austin :)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I know AC's have had them for some time, plus my 99 MXZ had a plug on the bottom of the chain case. It seems to be a little know fact and is likely the reason so many never change the oil at all.
I crank on big miles most seasons (OK so last year only 2300) and find myself changing the oil every second to third weekend. The old "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Oils cheap/easy to change, chaincases and parts are expensive/ pain to change. :)

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Man do I feel like a dope! I have changed my gears and oil hundreds of times and even looked around in there for a way to "rig" a drain so it went out of the sled, with no luck!LOL Jeeeez..... Glad I know now at least! :doh:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am with you Phazer, I swore I looked every inch of my ZL over for a plug as I have been told before there is one, I finally put several old rags under the cover when i pulled it off, oil dripped out of the belly pan for a week after. I am going to find that rascal if its the last thing I do..LOL

·
Registered
185 Posts
OK, here's probably the best link I can find that actually somewhat shows where the plug is....

Chaincase assembly....

the bottom most of the case facing you there is the hole, thats the drain plug.... granted its on a 1999 ZL500, but I know the 98 ZLs had it too..... just an FYI

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 1999 ZL440 with reverse. It has what appears to be an oil plug inside the tunnel behind the chaincase. I have tried removing the bolt....but not oil comes out!!??

Instead of taking the chaincase cover off, I use a large, clear hose and run it down the dipstick hole. I then suck the oil out...doesn't take long, no mess....Best to use clear hose so you can see the oil coming up before it gets into your mouth!!!!

I got this idea from a dealer....they told me they have electric pump and just suck the oil out (faster) instead of taking cover off...

I think that the oil plug must be blocked because the chaincase is a different with reverse.

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Man was that easy. Thanks for the tip on the drainplug. I've been telling everybody. Can you believe how many people don't know its there? Its no where to be found in the manual. Crazy. Thanks again for the tip.

·
1,327 Posts
Originally posted by ZL440@Oct 19 2002, 07:07 PM
I have a 1999 ZL440 with reverse. It has what appears to be an oil plug inside the tunnel behind the chaincase. I have tried removing the bolt....but not oil comes out!!??

Instead of taking the chaincase cover off, I use a large, clear hose and run it down the dipstick hole. I then suck the oil out...doesn't take long, no mess....Best to use clear hose so you can see the oil coming up before it gets into your mouth!!!!

I got this idea from a dealer....they told me they have electric pump and just suck the oil out (faster) instead of taking cover off...

I think that the oil plug must be blocked because the chaincase is a different with reverse.

Hope this helps....
The only problem you will run into with this method is that it will leave filings in the chaincase and contaminate the new oil immediately.

I usually drain everything with the hose, then take off the cover and get the rest out and spray the case with WD-40 or something similar, I believe some people use brake parts cleaner which sounds like a good idea. I plan to try it next time I change the oil

I drilled a hole in my belly pan with a 1 3/4 hole saw and then put an automotive firewall plug in to fill the hole. They only cost about 65 cents so I keep an extra just in case I lose the orginal(only happened once)

DP

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hay guys if you go to browns Leisure world and pick any year cat ZR,ZL,SRT,COUGER ,PANTERA ,and look at the dropcase it will show you the drain plug for the chain case it is on the inside of the tunnel and is a 1/2 or 9/16 plug. just put your drip pan under sled and have at it.Piece of cake. :cussing: :cussing: :) :) :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts