Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal, I was running pretty hard yesterday,wot for a couple of miles and I could smell chaincase oil,When I stopped and checked ,I could see where there is a small hole in the top of the chaincase the oil had beed coming out of there.
The chaincase was not over full, but is now a little low should this happen???

·
Registered
145 Posts
Only hole should be in the dipstick. It's a small vent hole. Make sure it is chain case oil. may have to open case and see why there is a hole there. What sled do you have?

·
Administrator_X
5,122 Posts
Zaner2 is  right, there should be no hole in the chaincase at all. I ran mine last weekend for a whole day without the dipstick because someone at the restaurant decided they needed that and my spare belt worse than I did. I didn't lose any oil through the dipstick hole even w/o the dipstick. I would say that you should remove the cover and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sled is a STX 583 ,and there is a small hole right near the top on the outer half of the chaincase.(the removeable half).
The hloe is about 1/16" maybe smaller.Looks like it has always been there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife had the same problem last year. We were running pretty hard on a rail road grade for several miles. It was Quite warm I, believe it was close to 30 F. It was losing oil through the hole in the dip stick. She was running a 2000 600 Formula DLX. We think that the problem was, when I had it serviced they didn't use Synthetic oil in the chain case. I replaced it with Bombardier chain case oil and never had a problem again.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The hole is factory on his F chassis. It is a vent hole. I've had mine leak before (95 F chassis) but it was overfilled. Also had the cover bolts vibrate out causing leaks between the halves. Are you sure it is coming out of the vent hole?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I thought it looked like it was always there.I do have the screw in dipstick.
And i am sure the oil is coming out the hole because from the hole to the bottom of the cover it is very clean and wet after a hard run... I'll verify the oil level again to make sure it is not over full.
 This was the first time it happened in 1600kms so maybe some water did get in.. Thanks Rodney

1 - 12 of 12 Posts