Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Pantera 600EFI, 2000 miles. Still getting alot of filing in chaincase, although the dealer still states it is normal. Warranty runs early in new year. Are filings normal for a 2000 mile sled? Would an insistent inspection of the chaincase be worthwhile to predict any problems? To me, filings mean wear. Not sure the level of "normal"

Kenbar ;)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Normal is a pretty broad term but no its not unusual to have a fair bit of metal debris in the chain case. My solution is to change the oil several times during the season, cheap insurance.

:)
Rick..

·
Registered
533 Posts
A little bit of filings is normal.

You should remove the chain and gears and have a real good look at them. I think it will be obvious if there is a problem. This is a fairly simple job. You will need a 9/16 socket and wrench, 3/4 wrench and needle nose.

newf

·
Registered
3 Posts
The metal filings are normal. It is the chain backer holding the chain on the idler gear. It slowly wears away. The amount of filings will decrease with more miles, but will not go away completely. WisF7

·
Registered
442 Posts
well i assume that pantera has reverse and if it does the filings in the chaincase is normal, i think on the reverse sleds the chain tension is completely automatic which means it has no manual adjustment as the non reverse sleds have. if this is the case just make sure the automatic tensioner isn't bent if its in good condition just leave it alone

if it doesn't have reverse just double check the manual tensions you should have a little bit a free play in the secondary clutch if you were to spin it back a forth if there is no free play the chain is too tight and causing above normal wear

1 - 6 of 6 Posts