Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was installing my reeds on my 99 mxz 600 i noticed that the pistons had a chalky looking appearance from the intake side.Is this the normal color?  If not what soes this mean?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
would someone reply to this, please?  even if they are normally this color it would help ease my mind to know.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
If you mean chalky as in white.  It should not look like that.  

It should have carbon over the top of it and for the most part be black.  

If its white then either your running way to hot or somthings getting in like coolent or somthing.  I have taken apart many motors and never seen a piston that i would use chalky to describe.?  

Got a digital camara.  Take a pic and post.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't have a digital camera so i will just try to explain it a little better.  After i took off the reed cages i looked into the engine compartment and i could see part of the sides of each piston.  The sides of the pistons where a white color and looked kind of like they were coated with a white powder(chalky).  what would this be from?

·
Registered
852 Posts
This doesnt sound real good....are you using an odd oil? Generally that would indicate a lean problem, but to see it at the intake side I gotta wonder. are you messing with the motor  to tweak or was their a driveability problem?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the only mods done to this sled are a b&b silencer and epi clutch kit.  It has about 4000km on it and the plugs are a nice cocoa brown color. i am using ski-doo regular oil, don't know what previous owner was using. I have only put on about 200km since i got it from a local dealer

·
Registered
31 Posts
If its a powder - corrosion.
If its a wet milky appearence - its mixing with water ! either by water in the fuel tank or combustion chamber.
Look for milky gasoline in your tank - it'll be on the bottom of the tank.
What ever it is ? have it checked out before you drive.
Do you fogg your engine after winter ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx for the help, guys.  it is like a white powder.   i'll give my dealer a call tomorrow and have him check it out.  
Just a question: what does "fogg your engine" mean?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Fogging an engine is when you spray storage oil or fogging spray into the carbs causing it to fog the cylender.  

I bet you the dealer wont know what it is either.  This is weird.  If its a powder then somthing got in there and caused corosion.  Check coolent level in resovior and check fuel.  Also before your run again i would pull the head and clean it out and soke everything with oil.  Also change the head gasket incase there is a leak.  Other then that you got me.  

If it happened to you it happend to someone else.  So just relax and hold of from running it till you find out whats going on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I found out the other day that Rotax injector oil will mix with water ! I took a plastic bottle that was put in the dish washer I thought I wiped it out dry,but ! I guess not.
When I put the ski-doo oil in the bottle I put the lid on it and rolled it to coat the bottle to get ready to mix Torco SSO oil (to see if they're would be a problem with contamination) anyways as I removed the lid I seen no bubles ? I took a small drop of water and mixed it with the oil, rolled it on a table top and it mixed with the oil - most oils the water is separated from the oil.
I am not saying ski-doo oil is bad, but I never oil mix with water like that.
I was once told years ago - OEM make engines don't they ? and they sell oil don't they - food for thought.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i took the reed cages off again today to have another look and although it looks like a powder it won't come off if you scrub it with your finger.  otherwise the pistons seem good, smooth as could be.  sorry, don't know much about motors, what is the skirting?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts