Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do most of you do before the season starts to your sled?

Do you change the oil from the previous year, grease this and that?

Possibly one of you fanatics could list a site for me that has a run down.

Thanks all.  Man I have an itch to sled.. it's a disease!!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
In the spring I just follow the guide in the owner's manual.

I change my fluids & grease everything after the season is over. When you apply grease to the fittings you're pushing water out. That way the water isn't causing rust over the summer. I add Sta-Bil to the gas, fog the engine & siphon as much gas as possible out of the tank. The carbs are then drained & cleaned. Steel wool is put in the muffler outlet to keep mice out.

In the fall I add a couple of gallons of FRESH gas, not stuff out of the lawn mower can & pull out the steel wool. I fire up the sled, burn off the storage oil & put a fresh set of plugs in.

The sled should be good to go.

·
Registered
660 Posts
There are plenty of check items for regular maintenance. Fluids, grease, plugs, carb cleaning, These are "regular" maintenance items.

Myself personally, I go after all the questionable items. All the items you don't want to change while your buddies are out riddin'.

For example
Look at your hyfax. Measure it. Determin if it is within allowable limits. The best time for this is the summer.

I takes me 1/2 hour to pull the skid out, so why not thoroully inspect all the idlers and springs? And I'm not bragging about how fast I am, i'm simply stating that it's a straight forward job that gives you a real good look at all the skid. When it's out It's alot easier to change grease fittings and check the bushings for wear.

My point to all this rambling is this - do the recommended maintenance items from the manual, then do all the jobs that you don't want to do when the snow hits. Hyfax, skags, idlers, etc.

Always think - it's better to work is summer in a well planed slow pace manner, then to rush a job in winter because it's an unplanned breakdown. I am a firm beleiver in Preventive Maintenance - not breakdown maintenance.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Madsledhead, has it right......pull the skid, (its a lot easier and warmer in oct. and if you need a part you have time to get/order it.... change the hyfax, its cheap in the broad scope of things..... spin all the idlers, and change out any noisy bearings. I paint any spot that looks like rust is starting, check the tunnel over for loose rivets etc. I grease it in the spring, but go around it again in the fall to make sure. I change out the chain case oil, every other year, sand and paint the exhaust manifold with hi-temp 1200 degree paint, add fresh gas fire it on the old plugs and burn out the storage oil, then add new  plugs, sharpen or replace the carbides put on a  coat of wax, and it should be a pretty trouble free winter...thanks DooZ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies guys.

What do you mean by pull the "skid"?  The situation with the 89 indy is that the owner actually said he didn't put any gas stabilizer in the tank.  The gas was added back in March.  The tank is empty though, not alot.

If I cyphon out the rest of the gas, add with 1/4 tank of fresh gas, and let it run for a bit, then add some stabilizer to it and let it run for a bit more, then cyphon all that remaining gas out.  Do you think it would be okay?

Thanks again for your replies.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
It might be ok, but why take the chance.
Pull the carbs, and clean them out.  Only takes a little varnish, to plug a jet, makes it run lean, and cooks the engine.

Drain all fuel, and start with fresh stuff, with Stabil.

Your not talking alot of work, just some simple stuff, to save you some major problems down the road.

FishHog

·
Registered
660 Posts
The skid is the rear suspension.

You have an 89 Indy? Piece of cake.

Lift the rear end off the ground
Slacken up the rear idlers
Unhook the rear srpings and let them hang down lower than the track
2 bolts in back, 2 in front
Colapse the top idlers
Pull the suspension out

Taking it out is really easy, putting it back in might take a little patience.

Don't chance the carbs. remove the float bowl and look inside. Jets are a cheap - pistons aren't.

Good luck

·
Registered
328 Posts
Man, whats all this draining gas?, I am just the opposite.  I usually have to add gas so I can fog my sled.  lol

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Heres my list,
  I may be over doing it a bit but, spend the time now instead of when your buddies are riding and your wrenching on a 5 dollar bearing:          Drain the gas, Clean the carbs / air filters and change the fuel filter, Fill with pre-mix, bleed the oil pump. Check or flush the colling system. Pull the rear suspension and check the idlers, hyfax, bearings and shocks. Clean the clutch surfaces, check the clutch springs, replace the drive belt (mine gets replaced every year). Align the clutches. Check front springs and shocks, and align the skis / replace carbides. Check the steering components. Inspect the gears and change the gear oil, check chain tension. Check the brake system / fluid and cable. Look for leaky seals / gaskets / hoses. Grease everything, mine gets a bath and wax. Service the battery, check starter and cables if applicable. Don't forget to check studs if you have them. Fire it up check the timing if necessary. Replace the plugs and wait for snow!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts