Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
It could be done. It'll require a number of modifications though. You'll have to make sure you get the clutching and gearing switched over. You may need to modify the mounts in order to get your distances correct also. In addition, you'll need to address the airbox to make sure you have the right air flows. You may be able to use the existing muffler at some performance loss or, alternatively, you may have to cut a new hole in the belly pan for the exhaust. I would watch the engine closely if you use the existing muffler to make sure you don't ruin the engine by overheating - that probably won't happen but it might.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whats the 340 motor out of, and y do u want to change it ??[/b]
i want to put a 340 polaris in 550 polaris i was told that the bodies were the same
and it was just a matter of changing out.motors

·
Registered
49 Posts
i want to put a 340 polaris in 550 polaris i was told that the bodies were the same
and it was just a matter of changing out.motors[/b]
If they are the same year and same chassis then it should just throw right in there, because i know with the old indy most motors just slipped right in another indy or with vary little modifications.

hope this helps.

pat...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they are the same year and same chassis then it should just throw right in there, because i know with the old indy most motors just slipped right in another indy or with vary little modifications.

hope this helps.
pat...[/b]
The reson I asked this that I have 05 550 touring and with all the crap on the go with 550 ,maybe worth while to change out the motor,dealer told me its the same chassis

·
Registered
49 Posts
The reson I asked this that I have 05 550 touring and with all the crap on the go with 550 ,maybe worth while to change out the motor,dealer told me its the same chassis[/b]
well it wont be to hard then, there might be a few liltle things but not much work invovled..but there still is some work.lol

pat

·
Registered
644 Posts
The 340s are smaller blocked motors, have different motor mounting, more closely spaced carbs (so different airbox requirements), etc. At least the newer machines use the same jackshaft so clutches can be swapped easily if necessary. The mufflers on the '05s are quite different so take a look at that.

Before I did something like that, I'd study two machines side by side, or at least look at the parts fiches for the machines. Actually on the '05 touring chassis, the 340 and the 550 use different part numbers so they are different in some ways even if only slightly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts