Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to have to write this post, but I did it again. The following is a "remember to change your plugs" tale of shame.

May 22, 2006, what turned out to be our last riding day of last season. Took out the Vmax. It started on the first pull, idled perfect, perfect throttle response. But when I went WOT, it struggled at around 7000-7500 RPM. This thing has never done anything like that. Kept it up for 10 minutes, went back to the truck. I figured the belt was a year old, it might be time for a new belt. In the end I spent an hour screwing around with the clutch. At some point I inspected the plugs and pronounced them "fine".

The plugs were as old as the belt yet I blamed the belt. (sigh) When I finally bit the bullet and put in new plugs the problem was solved and performance was better than it had been for months (surprise surprise). So much wasted time, I vowed never to let such a stupid thing happen again.

Fast forward to last week, December 12 2007. Only six riding days later in fact. I've been tweaking my wife's secondary every ride (the SKS) because we got a new multi-angle helix, but all of the sudden it's having trouble getting above 7000 RPM, and actually loses power under sustained WOT. I'm thinking I screwed something up in the clutch. Many hours of taking apart the secondary over and over reveal that huge changes make almost no difference...it winds up right but then consistently sinks down to a steady 6800 RPM...and how could that be? You see where this is going.

We do a compression test as we change the plugs, the compression is 110 on both sides, and looking at the plugs I declare "It can't be the plugs, these are fine." Well again, they looked clean but they were at least a year old. Again, the sled would start easily on the first or second pull and have very strong throttle response. Only at or near WOT would it start losing power. Different sled, same $4 problem.

It was the plugs again. With a new set the sled jumped right to 8000 RPM and accelerated like never before. I felt like an idiot, but at least we finally got her clutch dialed before it snows again.

So change your plugs, they are so cheap it's crazy. Don't wait until they fail, new plugs work better than old ones. If you're cheap, just recognize that you'll be getting better fuel efficiency. And before you attempt to diagnose any engine or clutch problem, do not use anything but brand new plugs no matter how good they look. Don't waste your time like me. This has been a public service announcement.

Attachments

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
LOL, haven't changed mine yet, perhaps I should heed your advice!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Good point. I can be pretty cheap when it comes to stuff like that. I'll put some new ones in this week.

RR

·
Registered
335 Posts
I changed the plugs in both mine and the wifes sled at the END of last season (March).. Started the sleds once a month all summer and ran them for 5-10min...(did not fog engines).. Think I should put in new plugs before heading out on sledding vaca?... ( I know, I know,, duh.. the answer is YES)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts