Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my Track on my sxr700 and i was wondering on the drive shaft to get the bearing off you remove the two set screws and it should come off or do you have to turn the bearing race a 1/4 turn clockwise because my did not move. I instead removed the two rivets that hold the cover that holds the bearing in,much easier than pounding it off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sometimes they seize on and you have to work to get them off of the shaft. I take sand paper to mine after I get the bearing off and it's easier next time. Make sure you check your bearing while you have it off. The one on my 99MM700 was shot and my buddies on his 01MM700 was totally void of grease. You can carefully pry off the dust cap on the speedo side and repack the bearing if it is in good shape. I checked the new one from Yamaha before I put it on and it had only about 1/3 of the grease that it should have had in it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you get the bearing off do yourself a favor and
put a "new"OE one on! For $50.00 you could save yourself
LOTS of money if the long run if the bearing happens to
seize up and "tear" through the tunnel.
I've seen it happen to my buddies sled-NOT PRETTY TO SEE!!!
Think about it!! :)

·
10,054 Posts
50$ seems high,,,, I have always used ntn bearing in the past and they run about 10$ each,,,, are the yamaha bearings different??? I have never had to replace one in the vmax,,, and I hope I dont have to,,, but you never know,,,,

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got the bearing at a Yammi dealer.
I needed it "now" and none of the NTN bearing
dealers in the area had one,so I had no choice
but to get the OEM one.
It was on my 97 Vmax 500 that I put it on "just because",
and it was a damn good thing I did because it was STARTING
to feel pretty rough-to-turn by hand. (pitted ball bearings?? )
As I said in the last write up,I saw what happens when these
bearings seize and "It isn't pretty to see!! :-(
and is expensive to fix!
I would have got the NTN one for sure if they had one in stock.
I will be changing all my idler wheel bearings this summer to
NTN's for sure!

·
10,054 Posts
another quick bit,,,, if your changing one of em, change the other while your in there. at 10$ a pop and as far as your tearing it down,,,, burn the $$ and dont worry about loosing the other bearing on a trail 50 miles from civilization.

·
10,054 Posts
I learned the hard way on an old sled,,,, I changed the first one and ended up pulling the skid and changing the other one in the middle of a trip up north,,,, had I done them both together at the same time, I would not have missed half a day of riding,,,,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts