Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been around before but I was wondering if anyone has come up with something better yet. About the only good one I heard last yr was to tip the sled on its side and pull the cover. Or to use a vaccum pump or syringe to suck it out. Then take the cover off and clean. Any other good ones? What a mess. I hate doing this. :hallo1:

·
Registered
113 Posts
rfmckee,

Not sure what the specifics are for Cats, but I just did my Yamahas last night and they are actually pretty easy. Yamahas have easy case access, so just pull the case and let it drain. There are small holes in te belly pan that I just use a small dish pan to catch the oil in and spray the inside of the case with parts cleaner to get out all the contaminants and then refill with AMSOIL Series 2000 Racing Gear Lube. I hope this helps.

Shane

A

·
0 Posts
AC's have a plug on the backside of the chaincase in the tunnel area. This is where you drain from. :hallo8:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by ARCTICZRT600@Oct 15 2002, 02:31 PM
AC's have a plug on the backside of the chaincase in the tunnel area. This is where you drain from. :hallo8:
So this plug is in the tunnel? Or just on that side of the chaincase? I just don't want that oil all over in my belly pan.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I believe the most easy way to do it is to suck it out. I bought a 12volts pump just for that purpose, working just fine, and it only cost 17$.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
:withstupid:

If you don't have a pump, a syringe or even the wife's turkey baster will work. Just don't tell the wife.

Just makes for much less of a mess.

FishHog

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by FishHog@Oct 15 2002, 03:08 PM
:withstupid:

If you don't have a pump, a syringe or even the wife's turkey baster will work. Just don't tell the wife.

Just makes for much less of a mess.

FishHog
I think that might be the way I do it. Then once its pumped out, do you guys take the cover off and clean it all up, or just add the new oil?

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
All these methods including the drain bolt will allow it to be done easily, But if you want to doo it properly the cover must come off. Unless you want to flush it but that seems like a bit of a waste. There will be lots of sludge and metal fillings that will contaminate your new oil immediately. Even someone who is NOT mechanicaly inclined such as myself can doo this job.
I clean out the inside with brake cleaner and a fresh rag, the same thing I doo when I change the Diffs on the Dodge Cummins.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by permafrost@Oct 15 2002, 03:36 PM
All these methods including the drain bolt will allow it to be done easily, But if you want to doo it properly the cover must come off. Unless you want to flush it but that seems like a bit of a waste. There will be lots of sludge and metal fillings that will contaminate your new oil immediately. Even someone who is NOT mechanicaly inclined such as myself can doo this job.
I clean out the inside with brake cleaner and a fresh rag, the same thing I doo when I change the Diffs on the Dodge Cummins.
Yes, I definetly agree. That is what I consider the easy part. Just getting that oil out is the messy part. But Sounds like some good ideas as always. Thanks again Guys. SWRules

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
rf,
On your Cat it drains without making a mess of the belly pan as its on the back side of the chaincase inside the tunnel. I normally change the oil several times over the season to help prevent against any build up or a possible failure. Cheap insurance, plus its quick and easy to do.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by ZR Sled Head@Oct 15 2002, 04:49 PM
rf,
On your Cat it drains without making a mess of the belly pan as its on the back side of the chaincase inside the tunnel. I normally change the oil several times over the season to help prevent against any build up or a possible failure. Cheap insurance, plus its quick and easy to do.
Cool :hallo3:

Thanks. That'll make life a lot more enjoyable. This was the last thing that I have to do that I didn't want to do. The other was cleaning the power valves. Hate to do the real messy jobs. The other stuff is fun. Thanks Sled Head.
Robb

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I'm also looking at getting a dipstick with a magnetic end on it. It should help a little for the cleaning process instead of draining the chaincase a couple times a season you could get away with only once.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by zert800@Oct 15 2002, 05:11 PM
I'm also looking at getting a dipstick with a magnetic end on it. It should help a little for the cleaning process instead of draining the chaincase a couple times a season you could get away with only once.
Good Idea. Maybe you should send that one into Cat. Or patent it. Let me and others know if you find an easy way to do it.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Doo has a magnetic chaincase dipstick. I think they might have traded CAT for the A-arms on the REV. Look for magnetic dipsticks in 04 cats ;) :devil:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Originally posted by FishHog@Oct 16 2002, 08:08 AM

FishHog
FishHog, remind me not to come to your house for turkey dinner !!! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts