Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd post this tip. Now that we're approaching summer maintenance time.

It used to be that you could change the sliders on a Ski-doo by loosening the tension, removing the retaining screws and driving the slider off the rail thru the track window.

The slider on the SC-10 is wider than the window, pick a window and with a sharp utility knife, shave about an eigth of an inch off the inboard & outboard edge of the track window closet to the rail. Loosen the track, remove the screw and R & R the slider. Replace the screw.

Now rotate the track 180* and repeat the process on the other side and readjust your track tension.

Remember that the raised line on the slider just below the radius is the wear limit. I changed my sliders before this season in about 45 minutes.

I used a hammer & large screw driver to drive the old slider off. If you've got an air chisel, it'll be even quicker & easier.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Thanks for the tip.I would rather pull the whole skid out and inspect all the bearings,check fastener tension,clean and lube everything.Takes an hour,longer if you soke up some brews.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This comes in handy if you have to change a slider in a dealer or motel parking lot and you don't want/need to remove the skid.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You do not even need to cut the track when changing sliders, just use the hammer to get it through the window, and when putting the new one in, put it through the hole sideways and then twist it.   no use cutting a new track, last thing you need is it starting to come apart.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Several of us have done it that way with no problems.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I do mine like 1000-IMP does. Just force it through, but I put a little grease or dish soap along the edge of the window (whichever is handier)....I also put grease or dishsoap on the inside of the slider so it goes on easier (and comes off easier!
)

·
Registered
316 Posts
How do you take the whole suspension out of a 99 Mach Z in an hour? What all do I have to pull? Loosen track, pull rear axle? undo bolts on the tunnel? I'm willing to try this but the shop manual leaves a lot to be desired. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Loosen the track all the way, take the springs out of the little holders...undo the bolts for the rear and front arms, and pull a bit and it should come out. The more you do this, the quicker you get at it  
 (Putting it BACK is where the time suddenly dissappears...
)

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
rocketman,
 putting the skidframe back in takes me less time then to remove it, what i do is take the spring support off at the slide rails and the frame will collapse and then front bolts then back bolts. without the springs to fight with it is easy, to take off the spring supports but it also requires removing an idler wheel on each side too.
 i can't see fighting to get the slider through the hole in the track being easy and like mxz7 says you can inspect the skidframe.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I pull the skids on my sleds in the fall anyways so i pop the sliders on then if needed.It's a good way to have a few beers with the boys and it gets are sleddin juices runnin again

·
Registered
556 Posts
REVRND when you put your sliders back on use some antisieze and you wont have to use a screwdriver and hammer to beat them off next time. I'm not to hip on cutting on a track. I like to pull the under carriage out and lube and check everything, plus i like to ride around the garage on the suspension and drink a few barly pops.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
LMAO

haha..I've always wanted to ride around on the naked skid! LOL

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, I only have to use the hammer & screw driver until a couple of inches of the slider sticks out of the track window. I have a slide hammer with a pair of vise grips welded to it. Just clamp the vise grip to the slider and pul it out.

The antiseize is a good tip though  

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brought back to life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts