Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi have a have recentley purchased a 136" track to put on my 1994 xlt sks. The original track is 133". Will I have any trouble installing this track on my sled. How will I make up for the 3 extra inches ?The new track is a 1 1/4 inch paddle . Will this create a clearance problem of any kind? Hope someone can help me out

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
You will need to move the mounting points back in the tunnel, and may need to slightly extend the tunnel.
1.25" is doable I'm pretty sure. The older Indy's didn't accept deep lug tracks easily, but I think a 1.25" will fit.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Whether or not the lugs fit is the big question. You might just be able to leave the suspension where it is and just keep tightening the track tensioners to make that track fit, somebody once told me you could do that converting an SKS from 133 to 136, it's actually only 2.5" longer. Those track tensioner screws are quite long...but I don't know. Maybe someone else here can say for sure. But if the lugs don't fit, that's a different story. My SKS was converted to a longtrack by the previous owner, and it was obviously a pretty big job. The chaincase was repositioned to make room for 1.75" lugs, and that meant repositioning the secondary. How do you know what belt to use after the secondary has been moved? Trial and error. The speedo will never work again, and they put the secondary so low it was gouging a hole in the coolant hoses down there. Good thing I noticed and rerouted the hoses. They did move the suspension back too, so I can't say if you could get by without moving it. All in all, track upgrades are perilous so proceed with caution.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Beaxch, it's actually not such a big job, and dropping and rolling the chaincase was a VERY common mod on 90's polaris'. The other way of dealing with a taller lug track is to use smaller drive cogs, and regear. Easier to do, but smaller drivers are less efficient.

A good friend of mine did this same mod years ago on a 440SKS, and he had to reposition the mounts for it to work. When you have that done you can check and see if it will clear the rear of the tunnel, but I can tell you without a doubt that he did modify his.

It's really not a huge job, and is well worth the benefits.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
to pick up the slack in the track you could use a big wheel kit, plus with one you get more hp to the ground

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi have a have recentley purchased a 136" track to put on my 1994 xlt sks. The original track is 133". Will I have any trouble installing this track on my sled. How will I make up for the 3 extra inches ?The new track is a 1 1/4 inch paddle . Will this create a clearance problem of any kind? Hope someone can help me out[/b]

I had 1993 XLT SKS with a 136 on it... it kept bending the tensioner bolts cause they were extended to the max... what a pain in the ###... so I added a few nuts to the bolts and fixed the problem... bought a new track the following winter 133 x 1.25 x 15 added about 160 1.375 studs and never had a clearance issue, except for some real hard bottoming...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts