Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to change the track on my 96 mxz (583). Any tips? I have never done it before. I did hit the bolts with a rust penetrant. The 2 bolts going through the rear shaft (all the way in the back passing between the rear of the tunnel) are just spinning in place. I had 1 out and when I tried the other side it wouldn't come out. I put the first bolt back in and now that one is spinning in place also. I'm hoping there is a flat spot on the shaft somewhere so I can back the bolts out. Either way I would love some tips on best way to do it. :lookaround:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I am getting ready to change the track on my 96 mxz (583). Any tips? I have never done it before. I did hit the bolts with a rust penetrant. The 2 bolts going through the rear shaft (all the way in the back passing between the rear of the tunnel) are just spinning in place. I had 1 out and when I tried the other side it wouldn't come out. I put the first bolt back in and now that one is spinning in place also. I'm hoping there is a flat spot on the shaft somewhere so I can back the bolts out. Either way I would love some tips on best way to do it. :lookaround:[/b]
On those back bolts you can grab ahold of the spacer on the inside of the idler with channel locks to keep it from spinning . Another trick is to have the sled sitting on the ground with the skid relaxed with a little weight taken off the rear( rope in rafters) to keep the bolts from binding in the holes. When the bolts are out you can lift it (sled) to get room to pull the skid out.

WHen you get to the front you will need to open the chaincase up and pull the gears to get the front drive out . Take the speedo side off and then it should slide out by dropping the speedo side 1st then the other side . YOU might have to pull the bottom bearing in the chaincase to get enough play to slide the shaft out.
Anothr option is to pull the whole chaincase 3 bolts and 2 to remove the brake caliper for pulling the front drive . FOR a 96 it might be wise to go this route and change out all the bearings in the front drive line while your right there.

mutt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks snowmutt. I followed your directions and all went well and pretty easy. The entire rear end is getting tired so it's overhaul time. New track, shocks and wheels. I'm in the process of sanding and painting now. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts