Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Noticed a small amount of coolant that has been weepeing out of the top of the engine of my '99 XCSP 500. I've seen these occasional drips a couple times when bringing the machine out of the trailer. Never really a significant amount of coolant loss, but it does mess up the engine compartment some.

I don't know if it continues to weep when the engine is running, as it would likely vaporize right off the warm engine, but I've never had it run hot or anything.

I'm thinking that maybe the cylinder o-rings, or the gasket under the head cover is where the leak originates.

My question is, do you think I might benefit by torquing the bolts down in case some have come loose, or do I need to take it all the way apart and replace the gasket and/or o-ring seals? The parts cost for these seals and gaskets are reasonable. It looks like a job that someone with a fairly well-equipped tool bax could do on their own?

I believe that my bolt torque specs are 20-22 ft/lbs for the head cover bolts, and the sequence should be similar to other Polaris twins?

The sled still runs really strong, so I'd rather not tear down more than I need to. I'd like to hear your opinions. Thanks!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
The O-ring sounds like a good place to start, that's where I plan to. Mine dumped all the coolant when I was 5 miles from our motor home. We ended up towing it back and I pulled the spare out of the trailer. I haven't had the time to check it out. I'll follow up later. Good luck with yours.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts