Snowmobile World banner

Cheap Trailer Ski Slides...... Aha!

28K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  atc250rfoxusa 
#1 ·
Ok, here are the pics of the PVC I got at the local home depot or Lowes. I think it's called Garage Door Trim. It is 6.5 inches wide and just over 1/2 inch thick (tall) when laid on its back. This is recycled plastic and comes in 12 foot lengths. The cost per 12 feet is $13 each. So, I have 24 feet for $26. Beats the heck out of those other companies trying to sell us plastic for $200-$300 for a trailer. Heck they're only selling extruded plastic. Just because it's related to snowmobiling, they jack the price up. Well I hope everyone looks at these and tries them out. The mfgrs will see that we don't need their high priced stuff.

Sorry for the ramble... I think there are 5 grooves in the slides too. These things work great! I hope this helps.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
WOODY-YOU DA MAN.I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR SOMETHING CHEAP THAT I CAN PUT ON MY TRAILER DECK.LOWE'S IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER FROM WORK.YOU'RE RIGHT-I'M NOT GIVING ANYONE $200 FOR SOME RECYCLED PLASTIC!! SWRules ;)

#4 ·
I used an old truck bedliner. I cut it into 2 10 foot long sheets by like a foot wide or something like that. It works awesome!!! I am sure a lot of junk yards or other shops have some junk ones laying around. I got mine free! They even have the grooves for the carbides to fall into. Works perfect!!!!

#7 ·
Good job Woody!

Duketter, I also use bedliners. You can find them for free w/out looking too hard. Dealers or aftermarket shops always get a few in a shipment that are warped or cracked, and they throw them away. The only bad thing I've found w/these strips, is that after a couple years they tend to expand and create a roller coaster effect...not a big deal though since one bedliner provides enough material to do a couple trailers.

#10 ·
i think i like that better than the boxliner trick because it is long enough. i have a brand new boxliner given to me but it is 8 feet long and my trailer is 10 feet long so i was wondering how i am going to make it right without it looking like crap.

#12 ·
Heck, I'd sell them online, but I bet the shipping would be outrageous. Not to mention, they're right around the corner from everyone.

I hope everyone enjoys this post.

#13 ·
You may have to cut them down or take a router to them for dual runners but it's a hellva lot cheaper then whta we've been being charged. Right onn man,great post and pics. Most people only use guids for one ski any ways also unless your trying to keep them off the deck completely.
Caleb

#14 ·
Paul, I butt the ends together and they're all screwed down real good...
cant' even tell it's not all one piece.

Caleb, I have the bedliner strips down for the outside skis, and a large strip of galvanized steel down the center of the trailer, since I'm never sure who's sled might be on my trailer w/mine. But I think I will replace it w/the bedliner strips this year...looks a lot better than the steel.

#15 ·
Fishie, does Home Depot carry the stuff in Canada?

#16 ·
Yeah, you guys should be able o find that stuff at any large home store. I've seen it and thought the same thing, but it is a little thick. You might want to take a grinder to the end to taper it.

I discussed this last year after I cut a truck bed liner into 8" strips and screwed it down. As for the length, Paul, I actually used a 6' bed liner and started it at the back of the trailer. I works better because when you have the most friction when pulling on is when the skis first hit the trailer and the track isn't up on it yet. Then when it is totally on, the skis sit on the wook and I like the friction because it helps hold the sled in place when it is strapped down and I am towing. Then when you pull it off, you tilt the bed and the sleds stay in place until you give it a little tug to overcome that first few feet, and it slides right off.

It works great. The grooves are deep engough for the carbides to not touch at all and the plastic on plastic slides like ice.

#18 ·
I have a wooden bottom on my trailer too and it was a pain in the *ss getting it off. Now I just tilt the trailer back and wallaaaa, the sled comes right off and loading it is easier than ever too! The carbides always seemed to groove into the wood on my trailer and I needed two people to put it on the trailer if I didn't get a run and drive it on.

Also remember if you do use a bed liner or whatever, leave a couple inches hanging off the trailer. That way when you tilt the bed those are a little lower the the edge of the trailer and your skis hit that first and go right up. Does this make sense. I also had to cut a bedliner to make it fit my trailer and you can't even tell it is two pieces, maybe up close if you look but not from like 10 feet away.

It is awesome.....they work great and now it is a one man job! :D

#19 ·
Originally posted by duketter@Oct 23 2002, 03:33 PM
I have a wooden bottom on my trailer too and it was a pain in the *ss getting it off. Now I just tilt the trailer back and wallaaaa, the sled comes right off and loading it is easier than ever too!
Dan, I think you better start the French lessons :D I know what he means, but don't how to spell it correctly. :withstupid:

#20 ·
Duke, you're right about leaving some hang over. Actually, I have one foot hangin over that way the slides are flat on the ground making it easier to get the sled started on them, compared to starting them out on dirt, then immediately going up the ramp (tilted trailer bed). I'm sure the truck bed works fine too, this is just one piece and may be more useful when puting in a 4 place trailer. Enjoy!

#22 ·
Ok, so just take out that useless bedliner that came with your pickup and cut it up. Should be good for a couple trailors.
Now that you dont have that moisture holding, slippery hunk of junk in the back of your truck you need to put a rubber mat down, this keeps everything in place and rolls up quickly for a quick clean out once and a while. Yes, the rubber mat cost more than the strips but dont you get tired of everything slaming into the back of the cab?

G
#23 ·
Originally posted by Mikadoo@Oct 23 2002, 04:06 PM
Ok, so just take out that useless bedliner that came with your pickup and cut it up. Should be good for a couple trailors.
Now that you dont have that moisture holding, slippery hunk of junk in the back of your truck you need to put a rubber mat down, this keeps everything in place and rolls up quickly for a quick clean out once and a while. Yes, the rubber mat cost more than the strips but dont you get tired of everything slaming into the back of the cab?
Does someone hate duraliners? :) :D :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.