Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my shock off my 02 800 cce. It was making noise and this is what I found. Can this part be replaced or is the shock junk?
matt

Attachments

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Have it welded up and put a steel bushing in it. I had the same issue with a Walker Evans shock which in spite of being welded kept elongating so I tapped it with 3/4" NPT and screwed a 1" wide pipe nipple into it. End of problem.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Have it welded up and put a steel bushing in it. I had the same issue with a Walker Evans shock which in spite of being welded kept elongating so I tapped it with 3/4" NPT and screwed a 1" wide pipe nipple into it. End of problem.[/b]

next time try welding it with 5356 as opposed to 4043 . the higher copper content gives the weld a better tensile strength along with a higher yield strength and lower % of elongation . watch the interpass temps , keep as low as possible ,M

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The hole elongated so bad it wore right into where the resivoir hose enters. All the oil leaked out. Will this cause a problem when welding? I looked on browns leisure world and it says that the end cap is only 56 dollars. Can a shock rebuilder exchange this part or should I talk to my welding buddy? Where are all the experts. I know your on here.

thanks
matt

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The hole elongated so bad it wore right into where the resivoir hose enters. All the oil leaked out. Will this cause a problem when welding? I looked on browns leisure world and it says that the end cap is only 56 dollars. Can a shock rebuilder exchange this part or should I talk to my welding buddy? Where are all the experts. I know your on here.

thanks
matt[/b]
for $56 dolla I would think ebay may produce a good replacement otherwise ... if the cap is listed seperately then yes it can be replaced .figure $30-$50 dolla ( depending on who does it and the other parts for the rebuild such as seals) + the cost of the part + shiping part . thats why I said ebay . if you are paying to get it welded and machined you will have $50 into it easy. jmho Mark

lol I just thought of this I may have a fox gas shock out in the garage for you . what is your eye to eye measurement open and closed ? M

·
10,054 Posts
I would think that if its only 56$, I may just get the new part and then have the shock rebuilt,,, I figured you were looking at a new shock,,, didnt realize you could order the end cap seperately.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i can get a new end cab for you that will not do that ever again and rebuild the shock for you shoot me a pm if interested. the new end is $35 i think i have to check. they are notthe same a stock, they are billit one.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
next time try welding it with 5356 as opposed to 4043 . the higher copper content gives the weld a better tensile strength along with a higher yield strength and lower % of elongation . watch the interpass temps , keep as low as possible ,M[/b]
Thanks for the tip Mark. As I have said in the past, I need to attend the Snofrog course of welding excellence instead of the thumbdoctor school of medieval blacksmithing.

The problem that arrests most of them isn't elongation due to stretch, it's usually that the application has aluminum riding on aluminum without any bearing surface to act as a buffer or the bearing is plastic (and I mean plastic not composite or High Molecular Density) so wear is the common cause.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts