Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand I did not ride the sled, so I was thinking about not making any comments about the sled until I did so...so just take my opinion for what it's worth. I understand the sleds a proto, so some of my criticism may be corrected come production.

I was up at my dealer in NH getting the sleds summerized when I heard an XP was going to be up there. I was told the sled was going to be in the showroom, but as I arrived, the sled was gone. The dealer said someone was riding it.

I was pretty bummed about not being able to see it. While I was tooling around the showroom, I saw an XP side panel. Man, was that thing light. A LOT lighter than a REV panel and with a little glossier finish (easier to clean). About 20 min. later, the dealer informed us the sled had burnt down (way to go Doo). They went off to pick it up.

When the sled arrived back at the dealer, although inoperable, I spent some time with it.

1. The look is OK. You know how some things look better in person than they do in pics? In this case, the sled looked the same in person as it did in pics. I was not surprised anywhere in this area. If anything, I would say the sled was a little overdone, with all the sharp edges, etc. The headlights are cool. The all yellow look looked a little cheesy, but it seems to look much better than the slate panels. I prefer the look of the black/red GSX more. The gauges looked nice, although I didn't get to play with them.

2. When I went to open up the side panel, the disappointment started. When I unlatched the rubber latch (there's only one VERY flimsy one), the side panel fell pathetically into my hand. I'll admit it was light, but cheap cheap cheap came to mind. Everywhere I looked, I see cheap, thin plastic. The rewind handle feels cheap, the hood feels cheap, the bumpers feel cheap, the snowflap flapped cheaply, EVERYTHING. I don't know if it will stand the test of time and wear, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

3. The sled was light. The back end was very light. The running boards looked flimsy.

4. I hopped on the sled. THE RUNNING BOARDS WERE FLIMSY. YES- THEY FLEXED. I am 130 lbs (not a heavy rider by any means), and if I hopped on the running boards towards the outside, they flexed noticeably. If anyone is saying otherwise, they're downright lieing. I hopped on a REV in the showroom, and no flexing whatsoever. The problem is that they have the slits in the boards right where you put your feet; in the widest, most vulnerable area to flexing.

5. The seating position was excellent. It felt very comfortable. The cab seemed more compact than the REV, and it felt more open. It was possible to sit back as well as scoot right up on the tank. It also was easier to lean into one side as the panel is not in the way of your knees. The knee position is also different. On the REV the knees are bent forward and your shins are against the panel bent forward. On the XP, your legs make a 90 degree angle and make no contact with the panels.

I'm sure the sled is a blast to ride, and most likely if I rode one, my opinion would be different. Until then, I rate it 6/10. The sled does not feel like a $10k sled...it felt downright chincy...Ski-Doo probably saved money on all the cheap plastic...they should charge less for the thing. JMO

·
Registered
593 Posts
About 20 min. later, the dealer informed us the sled had burnt down (way to go Doo). They went off to pick it up.[/b]
I wouldn't put too much faith in that as a good test of reliability. It was probably beaten on by many other people before with noone taking care of it.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
:werd:

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
I understand I did not ride the sled, so I was thinking about not making any comments about the sled until I did so...so just take my opinion for what it's worth. I understand the sleds a proto, so some of my criticism may be corrected come production.

I was up at my dealer in NH getting the sleds summerized when I heard an XP was going to be up there. I was told the sled was going to be in the showroom, but as I arrived, the sled was gone. The dealer said someone was riding it.

I was pretty bummed about not being able to see it. While I was tooling around the showroom, I saw an XP side panel. Man, was that thing light. A LOT lighter than a REV panel and with a little glossier finish (easier to clean). About 20 min. later, the dealer informed us the sled had burnt down (way to go Doo). They went off to pick it up.

When the sled arrived back at the dealer, although inoperable, I spent some time with it.

1. The look is OK. You know how some things look better in person than they do in pics? In this case, the sled looked the same in person as it did in pics. I was not surprised anywhere in this area. If anything, I would say the sled was a little overdone, with all the sharp edges, etc. The headlights are cool. The all yellow look looked a little cheesy, but it seems to look much better than the slate panels. I prefer the look of the black/red GSX more. The gauges looked nice, although I didn't get to play with them.

2. When I went to open up the side panel, the disappointment started. When I unlatched the rubber latch (there's only one VERY flimsy one), the side panel fell pathetically into my hand. I'll admit it was light, but cheap cheap cheap came to mind. Everywhere I looked, I see cheap, thin plastic. The rewind handle feels cheap, the hood feels cheap, the bumpers feel cheap, the snowflap flapped cheaply, EVERYTHING. I don't know if it will stand the test of time and wear, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

3. The sled was light. The back end was very light. The running boards looked flimsy.

4. I hopped on the sled. THE RUNNING BOARDS WERE FLIMSY. YES- THEY FLEXED. I am 130 lbs (not a heavy rider by any means), and if I hopped on the running boards towards the outside, they flexed noticeably. If anyone is saying otherwise, they're downright lieing. I hopped on a REV in the showroom, and no flexing whatsoever. The problem is that they have the slits in the boards right where you put your feet; in the widest, most vulnerable area to flexing.

5. The seating position was excellent. It felt very comfortable. The cab seemed more compact than the REV, and it felt more open. It was possible to sit back as well as scoot right up on the tank. It also was easier to lean into one side as the panel is not in the way of your knees. The knee position is also different. On the REV the knees are bent forward and your shins are against the panel bent forward. On the XP, your legs make a 90 degree angle and make no contact with the panels.

I'm sure the sled is a blast to ride, and most likely if I rode one, my opinion would be different. Until then, I rate it 6/10. The sled does not feel like a $10k sled...it felt downright chincy...Ski-Doo probably saved money on all the cheap plastic...they should charge less for the thing. JMO[/b]
I understand what you are saying Droptop but was this SLeD
you were looking at a {Prototype} The one I saw was.
I agree though how you have rated the XP. We just need to
give it some time I guess! -Dave

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I guess it not only looks like the Fusion....HUH, SHD800.....Hope it does not get a bad reputation over something like this :whistling: Prototypes should be the perfect thing!!!! As that is what I do for a living...I'm a prototype build technician for Hi-Lex controls... everything I build has to perfect and stand up to anything that is thrown at it! As a rule a prototype part should be able to withstand a double life in any test we throw at it, in any conditions we trow at it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand what you are saying Droptop but was this SLeD
you were looking at a {Prodotype}[/b]
Yes- the sled was a prototype. I understand this may account for some of the sled's glitches.

Hope it does not get a bad reputation over something like this :whistling: Prototypes should be the perfect thing!!!![/b]
I don't know if I'm taking this comment the wrong way, but I'm not trying to badmouth the sled at all. Trust me- I wanted to like the sled and all I stated was the obvious facts (the sled broke down, running boards flexed), and *my* opinion about the sled's styling, etc. I'm not sure if your comment is sarcastic at all, but I understand the whole "preproduction" stuff and was prepared to see the glitches that I did.

{EDIT}- Not engine failures...these 800Rs were in the Summits for 07. BRP had the chance to debug them...

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
just as i said from the beginning they used cheap thin parts to make it lightweight and they used some weird way of calculating that it is 37% stronger. personally id rather have a little heavy sled that could take a ton of abuse then a light one you have to be careful with. id agree this everything you said, they really over did it. i think skidoo should have slowly move into the lighter weight as the year went on like they did with the rev. make it 15 ounds lighter and them as time goes on it will get to 30 to 50 pounds lighter. one thing skidoo doesnt say to is that they measured they weight of the rev with coolent, oil, and chain case oil full, on the XP they had all the empty so really it about 35 to 40 pound lighter.

·
Registered
876 Posts

I'm sure the sled is a blast to ride, and most likely if I rode one, my opinion would be different. Until then, I rate it 6/10. The sled does not feel like a $10k sled...it felt downright chincy...Ski-Doo probably saved money on all the cheap plastic...they should charge less for the thing. JMO[/b]
1. I thought they looked good...but like you said, same as in the pictures.

2. Side panels are thin, but that equates to less weight (which is what people wanted). I don't think its a matter of holding up. As long as you don't roll/crash it there should not be a problem. My 05 Blue panels on my GSX show white stress marks in quite a few places.

3. Very light, I agree.

4. The running boards aren't that flimsy. I weigh 210, and put all my weight on one side (both feet) and bounced up and down, they flexed , but they should. I did the same on my 05 GSX and they flex also. I can't see a problem there.

5. I like the seating position alot better than the REV. I have longer legs and the REV after long rides is just not comfy. I built up my seat an additional 3" and that made a world of difference. But the XP seating is great for people with long legs.

6. Access under the hood looks to be better than the REV.

Overall I thought it was a great sled. I think the Yami fit and finish is alot better though.

JMO.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Yes- the sled was a prototype. I understand this may account for some of the sled's glitches.

I don't know if I'm taking this comment the wrong way, but I'm not trying to badmouth the sled at all. Trust me- I wanted to like the sled and all I stated was the obvious facts (the sled broke down, running boards flexed), and *my* opinion about the sled's styling, etc. I'm not sure if your comment is sarcastic at all, but I understand the whole "preproduction" stuff and was prepared to see the glitches that I did.

{EDIT}- Not engine failures...these 800Rs were in the Summits for 07. BRP had the chance to debug them...[/b]
Nope....you did not take my comment wrong, it was sarcastic, but it was ment for SHD800 and no one else! He like to ripon the Fusion....so I saw my chance and took it :whistling: My point on prototype is you should not expect to see any flaws !!! !!! !!! I do it for a living and if there were any flaws I would not have a job for long!Please take no offense, none was ment :blush:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I guess it not only looks like the Fusion....HUH, SHD800.....Hope it does not get a bad reputation over something like this :whistling: Prototypes should be the perfect thing!!!! As that is what I do for a living...I'm a prototype build technician for Hi-Lex controls... everything I build has to perfect and stand up to anything that is thrown at it! As a rule a prototype part should be able to withstand a double live in any test we throw at it, in any conditions we trow at it.[/b]
Droptop, thanks for what appears to be an honest evaluation of the prototype models of the XP sleds. I don't take your comments to come across as badmouthing or bashing.

Snowmandp, I know that you and our Michigan, Indiana, Ohio SW crew get along well and that as in all sledding circles, there's usually some friendly rivalry going on. . However, you need to look past the skin of the both sleds, you'll see that the two sleds are nothing alike whatsoever. Timespentsearching and PesiFuzz and others whose names I can't remember right now, in fairness to Snowmandp, I need to mention your names as well. You've made similar posts in several threads. There's only so many ways to cover a sled. But don't think that sleds are the same because of outward appearances. The rider placement and everything else about the various sleds is totally different.

As far as the prototype comments. What BRP is trying to say is that these sleds were built several years ago and have endured many miles and hours of testing long before they were put in the hands of John Q Public. They (via Dootalk) are asking people to take that into consideration and are asking for honest evaluations from the test riders. They have said that there will be many changes to the actual production sleds based on what they are finding out from all of these test rides. Don't take the negative comments you read and then criticize the new sleds coming out in November with this negative press. They will be much better.
Again, BRP should be commended for being so brave as to try that. No other manufacturer has ever done something on such a large scale as this before. Please be fair to them and hold off on your judgements until you see the actual new and much improved production sleds. If you still feel that way after riding those sleds, than those would be fair assessments. (Based on your opinions anyway.)

I know there seems to be all lot of negativity to BRP totally redesigning the XP chassis and the box it comes in. I think they should be commended for such forward thinking. Not criticized. They did this to make a better sled. Will they find out they made some mistakes? Probably. But if you only keep building the same sled every year and only change the graphics, then we as consumers loose out in the long run. This sled is about changing everything with the intent of building a better mouse trap, or obviously in this case, a better sled. Lets hope they succeed, because it forces the other 3 1/2 brands to redesign there sleds in hopes of competing. In the end, we all win. No matter what brand we ride. We'll be riding better sleds.

IMHO.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Droptop, thanks for what appears to be an honest evaluation of the prototype models of the XP sleds. I don't take your comments to come across as badmouthing or bashing.

Snowmandp, I know that you and our Michigan, Indiana, Ohio SW crew get along well and that as in all sledding circles, there's usually some friendly rivalry going on. . However, you need to look past the skin of the both sleds, you'll see that the two sleds are nothing alike whatsoever. Timespentsearching and PesiFuzz and others whose names I can't remember right now, in fairness to Snowmandp, I need to mention your names as well. You've made similar posts in several threads. There's only so many ways to cover a sled. But don't think that sleds are the same because of outward appearances. The rider placement and everything else about the various sleds is totally different.

As far as the prototype comments. What BRP is trying to say is that these sleds were built several years ago and have endured many miles and hours of testing long before they were put in the hands of John Q Public. They (via Dootalk) are asking people to take that into consideration and are asking for honest evaluations from the test riders. They have said that there will be many changes to the actual production sleds based on what they are finding out from all of these test rides. Don't take the negative comments you read and then criticize the new sleds coming out in November with this negative press. They will be much better.
Again, BRP should be commended for being so brave as to try that. No other manufacturer has ever done something on such a large scale as this before. Please be fair to them and hold off on your judgements until you see the actual new and much improved production sleds. If you still feel that way after riding those sleds, than those would be fair assessments. (Based on your opinions anyway.)

I know there seems to be all lot of negativity to BRP totally redesigning the XP chassis and the box it comes in. I think they should be commended for such forward thinking. Not criticized. They did this to make a better sled. Will they find out they made some mistakes? Probably. But if you only keep building the same sled every year and only change the graphics, then we as consumers loose out in the long run. This sled is about changing everything with the intent of building a better mouse trap, or obviously in this case, a better sled. Lets hope they succeed, because it forces the other 3 1/2 brands to redesign there sleds in hopes of competing. In the end, we all win. No matter what brand we ride. We'll be riding better sleds.

IMHO.

Jeff[/b]
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
All I said was that it looks like a Fusion....As I said in the last post the sarcasm was for SHD800 in fun! He like to rib me about the Fusion so I took this as an opportunity to fire back and nothing more !!! Some of you Ski-Doo guys get way to worked up about being razzed :huh: it's all in fun !!! Seems to me this is the same thing that happened to the Fusion 900 Never got a fair shake! Like I have posted, we have a 07 500 SS so I have no problem with the Doo's.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Everyone's gonna have their own opinion on something like this
with all kinds of crazy answers. When the REV chassis came
out in 03 I absolutely hated now I own a 05 Gade X and love her.
I'm givin this SLeD a few years I'll bet I'll own one then -Dave[/b]
THAT is exactly how we feel. :!:

Snow4

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm just wondering about the flexibility of the runners people are talking about... there are metals out there designed to flex; ie. they're supposed to. By incorporating lighter metals that flex your end product is not only lighter, but stronger. What flexes well typically doesn't break. I know it may seem un-stable for those familiar with sturdier runners, but it could actually mean that the runners flex back into shape, instead of out of shape with age. The only way to know is when it's been on the snow and there's been a few out there with more than 10,000 miles on it. With age, we'll know then if the flexibility is a good thing or a bad :)

Addition:

Awe heck, I'll throw in an example. Remember the Flexxon glasses? Intead of bending and breaking, they flexed out of place and then back into place. People called them "rubber glasses". The point is: they worked.

·
Registered
211 Posts

IMHO.

Jeff[/b]
Couldn't have said it any better. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Great response Jeff! Was starting to think I was on another site!! :undercover:

Me and toocheaptosmoke went yesterday and looked at the XP at a dealer open house. Drove a little over an hour, I wanted to see the thing. I wasnt real keen on the over all looks of it, but like most everyone, I wasnt real keen on the REV when it came out. It will grow on me. I think an all glossy black one would look sweet!! :whistling: I opened up the clutch side panel and man was it a mess in there. Real dirty and remnants of belt cords around the clutches and laying in there on the belly pan. This was when the dealer came over and noticed me looking at all of this. He said its the orignal belt supposedly. They were riding it the day before on the ski slopes at a local ski resort, and beating the living crap out of it. Went over to the other side and opened the panel and it did seem cheesey. He must of been reading my mind while I was thinking this because he said the Doo rep told him that they were going to add a rubber bungee hook (like whats currently on the REVS) in place of the tab for the production sleds. I put my 275 lb big but up on it and moved around, didnt put all my weight on one side though but ya the running boards flexed a little, no more than what my REV does and like PEPSI FUZZ said, as long as the metal remains in its ductile state and doesnt go past that state, it shouldnt break. I am sure there will be supports made that can be added to strengthen them up. I dont think the average rider will have a problem. I did like the extra room for seating A LOT!! :cool: I am about 6' tall maybe a hair over and after a long day on the REV, I am wishing I could just sit back, strecht out and cruise. The XP I will be able to do that.

Am I buying one this year, no probably not. Probably wait till the 09s come out and pic a used 09 up at the end of the year. Thats how I bought my 04 and saved some major $$. Plus this will give some time te get the bugs worked out and see how the 800R is holding up!!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I'm just wondering about the flexibility of the runners people are talking about... there are metals out there designed to flex; ie. they're supposed to. By incorporating lighter metals that flex your end product is not only lighter, but stronger. What flexes well typically doesn't break. I know it may seem un-stable for those familiar with sturdier runners, but it could actually mean that the runners flex back into shape, instead of out of shape with age. The only way to know is when it's been on the snow and there's been a few out there with more than 10,000 miles on it. With age, we'll know then if the flexibility is a good thing or a bad :)

Addition:

Awe heck, I'll throw in an example. Remember the Flexxon glasses? Intead of bending and breaking, they flexed out of place and then back into place. People called them "rubber glasses". The point is: they worked.[/b]
i know that strong metals can be flexier but it all comes down to price. if they really used the more expensive metal it would cost a ton more, im not saying that they didnt use something stronger but the degree is a question. dont get me wrong guy im not trying to bash the skidoo i just am looking at what isee and am making an analysis. some of you guys may know that im a huge poo fan and have a big future deal with them and am on the inside of stuff so you may think i am very bias. all im doing here is just saying what i think of the new sled. personally i think they cut a few corners and they may have change some after testing but thats how it goes. in the market you have to settle for something someitme thats not perfect because its not cost effective to make what you really want. to be honest i like the rev better then the xp and like the rev setup and packages better. clicker shocks to me makes or breaks a sled and the new xp doesnt have them so that would make me not buy one. maybe the 440x with a 800r in it, now we are talking. really like drive any sled, as long as it fells good and can take the abuse, so far i have just found the poo fells right and can take far more abuse then a skidoo so that what i ride.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
some of you guys may know that im a huge poo fan and have a big future deal with them and am on the inside of stuff so you may think i am very bias.[/b]
:dazed:

Explain. (or point me to somewhere where you already have)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
:dazed:

Explain. (or point me to somewhere where you already have)[/b]
basically when your good friend with the VP of polaris you get inside with a few things. im going to school for mechanical engineering and am going strait into poo when im done. i got back to meet with the human resourses guys agian may 1. also racing next year and getting to be part of that whole side of things to. i could go on for a while but you get the idea. basically im all poo but, but. we do own one cat. got a to good of a deal on it not to just have it for another sled for family and friends to ride. between my dad and i we have 8 sled as present. last year we had 10, im probably getting nothing one to so ill be back to 3 myself.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts