Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1983 Polaris 440 Sport - got it running this weekend- it had a bad CDI module on it and now that it runs I'm wondering about a couple things... First - there are 2 wires that are laying by the connector near the gauges - they're purple and purple/white striped. Anyone know where they go or what they're for?? (OR does anyone have a wiring diagram?)

Next - how can I ensure the oil injection pump is working properly? Is there a way to test it with it on the engine? Is there an adjustment procedure that needs to be done?

The little bit of fuel that was in the tank when I got it was pre-mix so I'm wondering what's up? The guy that owned it before me told me he bought it and played around with it in the summer, got it running, then it was intermittantly starting, then it finally died alltogether. He had another old sled that took premix so I'm wondering if he just threw premix in it not knowing, or being safe or???

I was thinking that I could crack the banjo bolt when the machine is idling and see if it pumps oil, but I don't want to do more than that since it needs the oil to stay alive!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Usually after I rebuild an oil injected engine I bleed the oil to the pump. I put a gallon or so of mixed in the tank & take the injection lines off the intake manifold.

I start the sled & with it running I manually lift the lever on the pump to full open until oil starts coming out.If you don't get oil there's a problem....

then put the lines back on & set the idle where you want it. If it's someone elses sled I then set the lever so the lines match up when at an idle as in the book.If it is one of my sleds I lean it back a bit on the oil making sure to find the spot I am happy with by get a good plug colour through all throttle settings.

At anyrate top the tank up with gas & run it out checking the plugs periodically the should be a little past tan on the first tank as there is still premix.On the second tank of gas your plugs should be good & you should be using no more oil than a 50 to 1 mix(500 ml oil per 22 litres gas) I usually use less.

Hope this helps

Devo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Usually after I rebuild an oil injected engine I bleed the oil to the pump. I put a gallon or so of mixed in the tank & take the injection lines off the intake manifold.

I start the sled & with it running I manually lift the lever on the pump to full open until oil starts coming out.If you don't get oil there's a problem....[/b]
That's a good idea on running it on premix while checking - I'll put in a little oil into the gas and run 'er and see what the injection pump is doing. I'll probably start at the factory setting then lean it out a little at a time since I'm running good synthetic 2-stroke oil.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Remember when you go under Factory specs you are always at risk of overheating & seizure from lack of oil.......

Good luck with it

Devo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drain your carbs of that straight fuel first!!! She'll run for a few minutes on that bowl reserve.[/b]
it's had premix in it when I got it, and I've run it a bit on the premix - don't know what ratio it was mixed to though.. I'm probably going to check the injection pump to ensure it's working on this premix - if it's not then I'll just continue to premix - if it does work then I'll probably adjust it, drain the fuel and put in a 100:1 premix just to be safe and see how it runs.

Right now the engine seems to load up at idle - if I let it idle for about 20-30 seconds the engine will load up and eventually die - and then it's hard to start and acts like it's flooded - I've got to hold the throttle WOT and pull like heck and then it'll start clearing itself out.

I've checked the choke and it doesn't seem to be sticking on so I'm going to try and lean out the mixture at idle - I'm assuming that this mikuni - I back out the idle air screw to lean it out? (turning it in richens right?)

·
Registered
73 Posts
[- I'm assuming that this mikuni - I back out the idle air screw to lean it out? (turning it in richens right?)
[/quote]

Correct opening the screw adds more air to the mixture to a certain point then you need a bigger jet.(I doubt you will though). Also at Idle you should be getting little to no oil through the injector as the fuel alone is enough lube at low rpm under no load.(IMO)

Being boggy at low RPM doesn't neccesarily point to a rich mixture as lean will also do that.When you opoen the throttle it is running on a different circuit. Check for excessive smoke & your plug colour when it idles also what the rpm is at.

Devo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Being boggy at low RPM doesn't neccesarily point to a rich mixture as lean will also do that.When you opoen the throttle it is running on a different circuit. Check for excessive smoke & your plug colour when it idles also what the rpm is at.[/b]
I'm pretty sure it's not lean - at least it's not acting the same when the dirt bikes are lean - it's not real boggy when getting on the throttle - it just loads up on fuel. It's almost acting like the choke enrichment circuit is in play but the choke plunger worked ok when I checked it - might have to check it again for binding and being just slightly open as it runs and idles fine until it gets warm and has been ridden for a little while..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts