Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my xheetah 340 has been acting up(The vaporlock post yesterday) well today i changed the carb over. I took the belt off and tryed running it well heres what happened

it started up and ran ok for a few seconds. The motor was arking just a little bit. well then it revved right up to full throttle.

I tried to shut it down didnt shut down! disconnected the plug wires AND IT STILL RAN! WTF?

it was running the same way with the old carb. I think the seals are good, and it has 130 lbs of compression. I dn whats going on with this thing.

The sled always had a bog down low, and a misfire when it idled but this arcing thing just starting to happen.

Stator Coil Wires?

Wires looked ok, couldnt see anything major.

PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
does it matter if i dont have the voltage regulator hooked up? the sled lights run off a battery that i charge over night becasue the wiring was all screwed up. does this matter. it never caused any problems before

·
Registered
231 Posts
Check the vacuum(pulse) hose from the engine to the fuel pump or carb. If you have a vacuum leak it can cause a high rpm condition. Check for dried out hoses. As for the continued running possibly a dieseling condition caused by excess fuel.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I see that you posted earlier and pretty much received the same answer I gave you. I would recommend rebuilding that carb and putting a fuel filter in line along with the other stuff. It is not uncommon to have two carbs with the same problem as simple as a piece of dirt floating around to a gasket sucking air. Better to check it all out and deduct that way.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where could the arking i was seeing be coming from. The arcing was coming from two covers on the motor. The fan shroud is kinda loose on the one side, so when it was vibratingi could see blue sparks running across a good 1/2 gap. i dn whats going on with the sled its possesed

·
Registered
10 Posts
where could the arcing i was seeing be coming from. The arcing was coming from two covers on the motor. The fan shroud is kinda loose on the one side, so when it was vibrating i could see blue sparks running across a good 1/2 gap. i dn whats going on with the sled its possesed[/b]
it's possible your wires (plug) are bad and arcing from the case to the wire(s)
or you could have a bad coil causing the arcing .. if it arcs after the normal spark timing it will run on and seem like it won't shut off..
I have had it happen on the older kawasaki engines 340/400/440, make sure you bolt down the covers also they can short the electrical out if they get close to the plug wires ...
finally I would check the stator for warn wireing sometimes if they short to the case it will cause issues like you describe (I have seen it once) but it usually burns out and quits running soon after...hope this helps !

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well today i switched the carb over to mikuni. i pulled the plugs out to look at them, and the mag side cylinder is detonating. Is it possible that i lost chassis ground to cause this, and if i run a ground strap will it fix the problem? the motor still has good compression so i am catching it before it does serious damage. this must be the problem. Where do i start? thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ifit's still running after you pull the plug wires it's dieseling/detonating because it's running extremely hot for some reason. I'm betting the seals are junk for starters.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when it idles i can hear it detoanting like a misfire. do you think it could be do to the arking i am seeing. its causeing the spark plug to spark again because of the current running through the motor and ignite the charge too early? my guess is a bad ground or stator. Am i crazy. Could it be casued by bad CDI?

·
Registered
10 Posts
when it idles i can hear it detoanting like a misfire. do you think it could be do to the arking i am seeing. its causeing the spark plug to spark again because of the current running through the motor and ignite the charge too early? my guess is a bad ground or stator. Am i crazy. Could it be casued by bad CDI?[/b]
If you have the Kawasaki 340 fan engine it has points not CDI ignition , the timing could be slightly off or the points could be warn but if it's still arcing you have voltage leaking somewhere
probably the plug wires or coil I don't know if an additional ground would make any difference..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts