Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was jsut wondering if anyone knows where I would be able to find a set of chrome moly trail arms? I scratched the pro x trail arm idea took the arms off my buddies sled and fit them ont hey will work but if i hit stuff really hard I will be pushing rods into the tub so thats no longer an option.
I wanna race in the uscc and Im buddies with a guy who used to and he has been giving me alot of advice and he says I should get some chome moly trail arms.
I have chrome moly skis but I have been having troubles finding the arms. if any of you know where I can find some let me know thanx!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I don't know for sure, but my guess is you would have to make them your self :unsure: or have them made. I can't imagine there being a big enough need for chrome moly sled stuff for it to be an aftermarket part. I'm sure that you could contact a racing team and they should be able to direct you to someone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was aftermarket chome moly trail arms for the older sleds like 90-98 because i had bought chome moly trail arms for my 1990 500 and my 1997 500 but i have not been able to find any for any of the new sleds yet...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
moly arms are around $400. holz has some. the question still stands, why not just beef up your current arms. your not doing it for weight, and all you need is some more strength, so beef up your current arms. i hear your a pro welder, this should be a no brainer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
moly arms are around $400. holz has some. the question still stands, why not just beef up your current arms. your not doing it for weight, and all you need is some more strength, so beef up your current arms. i hear your a pro welder, this should be a no brainer.[/b]
1. If im going to be racing in the uscc next yr I want my sled to be light as possible in the front end i dont wanna be riding a tank
2. for material paint and my time it would be a total waste. why build some arms for my sled when I can buy them cheaper than it would cost me to build them?
3.I dont have time to to finish welding on my jeep/ truck accesories i started over 4 months ago. I m woking 12 hr days everyday only day i get off is sunday not feeling up to working on it so maybe when the field slows down a bit... but until then i could not be bothered.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Aren't they already Chromemoly?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanx guys I talked to Kevin Boxx at Holz and I m ordering a set from him $475 and 20 shipping not to bad, and tifa I have brand new 7/8 polaris track and 192 woody's studs in it already with woody's purple aluminum backers. I also have an extra 400 studs and backer plates in a bax in my shed all brand new for spares.. will buy more though out the summer. no worries Thank you all for all of your replies they are very helpful... except tifa he is kinda acting like a child. If I dont ask about something I probibly have it covered. and stud choice what are you talkin about there is only one good brand of stud out there and as for track I can only run a polaris track. Tifa idk if you are just trying to discourage me from upgrading or what but everytime I bring sumthing up you try to flame it and say its not worth it at all...???? but thanx ALL

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
i really dont know what im doing. i just "hear" things from my buddies friends brother who used to race. track choice is very important in cross country. once again im sure you got it all handled though.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
sled neck - you haven't been around long, so I thought it might be might be helpfull to let you know that tifa has been around awhile, and is certainly no stranger to racing. With that knowledge in hand, differences of opinion are what racing is all about? Also makes for interesting reading. This would be a pretty boring place if everyone thought alike, were not encouraged to speak their mind regarding different ideas? -Al

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well you got a point there i apologize get a little hot headed at times cant take my problems from work out on your guys Im sorry. If you dont mind me askin tifa what do you recomend for a track? It has to be a oem track with polaris number still readable... I have been told to run 7/8 track with 196 studs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
O yes Ordered

480 purple aluminum backing plates from woody's $200 USD
2 Holz chome moly trail arms $475 USD
4 Holz aluminum 43" radius rods $100 USD
debating on getting shocks need opinions can get
Fox Zero Pro Coil Over Shocks - $499.95 USD
Fox Float Ski Shock kit (air shocks) - $695.00 USD
Fox Float Evol X shock kit (air shocks) $1,295.00 USD
your opinions or should i keep my ryde fx shocks valve them one stage and go one heavier on the springs? also what do you guys think about going to aluminum rod ends?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
O yes Ordered

480 purple aluminum backing plates from woody's $200 USD
2 Holz chome moly trail arms $475 USD
4 Holz aluminum 43" radius rods $100 USD
debating on getting shocks need opinions can get
Fox Zero Pro Coil Over Shocks - $499.95 USD
Fox Float Ski Shock kit (air shocks) - $695.00 USD
Fox Float Evol X shock kit (air shocks) $1,295.00 USD
your opinions or should i keep my ryde fx shocks valve them one stage and go one heavier on the springs? also what do you guys think about going to aluminum rod ends?[/b]
as for shocks, id would not get floats personally, they really are not as good of a shocks as you think and the evol x shocks do not fit an edge chassis. the zero pro shocks are really good. also ohlins. its harder to find racing res shocks for and edge chassis so these are really the only two shocks i can really think of that you could get, maybe works but i have never used of worked on one so i have no idea what they are really like. you can add a fox res to your ryde fx shocks that you already have to i know a guy that has them (i cant get them myself). question guys, what is the eye to eye length of and edge shock? also what is the eye to eye all the way compress length of about what is it, wondering with a little custom mod if i can make a prox shock work on a edge, never tried and dont have and egde shocks here.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Extended length is something in the 16.25 - 16.5 range for the Edge and later GenII. Have been told the only way to use a Pro shock on an Edge is with a new, shorter, shock shaft? Otherwise, they're about 2" too long.

Edit: Forgot, heard the same thing regarding the Fox Floats. They don't work as well on the track as they do on the trail.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
dont have a for sure on your track suggestion. i always run the durasport 1187 with great success. i run from 1/2" to 3/4" penetration on my studs. i imagine it all depends on how much "slide" you want in the corners. i like the "on rails" feeling. some like the "ripsaw" or the new "hacksaw".

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes thats what I wanted to do was stay with my ryde fx and maybe up grade to walker evans in the front if i dont put res and valve and spring these ones but kevin from holz was trying to tell me best shock made right now was the evol and I also agree with you guys and I dont wanan try it its just to new..
Also I have a ripsaw on my sled now but... I needa 7/8 tracka nd I m only allowed 3/8 of stud to stick past the lug.
also i went with the radius rods the put my ski stance out to 43" which will probibly make a differance on the shocks too..

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Extended length is something in the 16.25 - 16.5 range for the Edge and later GenII. Have been told the only way to use a Pro shock on an Edge is with a new, shorter, shock shaft? Otherwise, they're about 2" too long.

Edit: Forgot, heard the same thing regarding the Fox Floats. They don't work as well on the track as they do on the trail.[/b]
as for the shocks i can do this without changing the shafts, i do this on mine to make the front sit lower to corner better, you but nylon limiters in them, i run 1 inch limiters (i inch less travel on the shock) so my WE shocks ride a 17.25 full extrended, i can go as low as i need, seen people lower them a lot for drags, much cheeaper them a whole new shock.

the problem is floats in that air does not hold up, under pressure the air molecules brake down, that is why you have to pump them up all the time, the new ryde fx air shocks are a much better idea, they used nitrogen chambers.

Yes thats what I wanted to do was stay with my ryde fx and maybe up grade to walker evans in the front if i dont put res and valve and spring these ones but kevin from holz was trying to tell me best shock made right now was the evol and I also agree with you guys and I dont wanan try it its just to new..
Also I have a ripsaw on my sled now but... I needa 7/8 tracka nd I m only allowed 3/8 of stud to stick past the lug.
also i went with the radius rods the put my ski stance out to 43" which will probibly make a differance on the shocks too..[/b]
im thinking i may be able to work up something. you can run a longer or shorter shock in a sled them stock anyway but iwht a little wider stance i. thinking maybe you can run a 17.25 or a 16.75 length WE shocks. if you are willing to spend the money i can make some stuff up and send it to you and if it works you can buy it. i currently have 5 WE ski shocks and can get more easily so ill just get another pair if you like them. tell me what you want to do and ill ehlp you out anyway i can.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts