1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clean machines

Snowmobile challenge to hit Houghton

Daily Mining Gazette/Michele Jokinen

Michigan Tech University student Brian Barr, of East Pointe, Mich. poses with a snowmobile re-engineered by the Michigan Tech Clean Snowmobile Team. Team Leader Barr and his teammates will compete in the 2003 SAE Clean Snowmobile Challenge this March at Tech's Keweenaw Research Center in Franklin Township.
By Ryan Olson
Gazette Writer
HOUGHTON — This March, the Copper Country will play host to some of the world’s cleanest snowmobiles.
The Society of Automotive Engineers will hold its 2003 Clean Snowmobile Challenge at Michigan Tech University’s Keweenaw Research Center in Franklin Township from March 12 to 22. The competition will pit teams of engineering students against each other as they take a stock snowmobile and re-engineer the vehicle to reduce noise and emissions. The competition is expected to draw snowmobile enthusiasts from across the region.
KRC Director Jay Meldrum said the Keweenaw is an excellent place for the competition.
“KRC is well-suited. We have a 500-acre proving good,” Meldrum said.
To help raise $100,000 to fund the event, the university kicked off a fund-raising campaign that included a $10,000 donation from the International Snowmobile Manufacturers Association. Association past president Jim Duke, of Munising, presented Meldrum with the check Friday.
“We are encouraged by having this competition come to Michigan,” Duke said.
About $25,000 has been pledged so far — including the $10,000 donation, Meldrum said. He said KRC will be looking for donations from a wide variety of sources including snowmobile associations and companies that may hire students taking part in the competition, as well as local business and groups.
“I really want to encourage community involvement in this,” he said.
In addition to money, Meldrum said the KRC would be interested in in-kind support — volunteers to help with events and discounts for services in the area.
Costs for the event are about evenly split between test equipment, prizes and equipment, Meldrum said.
“It takes about $100,000 between labor, equipment and awards to give away at the challenge,” he said.
Meldrum said the competition requires sophisticated equipment to measure the noise and emissions from the vehicles.
He said a gas analyzer would need to measure the hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and nitrous oxide from each snowmobile. Noise equipment would need to be installed along the snowmobile course to measure sound at different points.
“We have to measure 15 sleds in one day and that’s a daunting task,” he said.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Unfortunately, you won't see this article printed in the enviro mags. :angry:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thanks for the interesting article. I think the guy I sold my sled to a few weeks ago is on that team for Michigan Tech.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts