Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutches are starting to get a build up of belt residue on them. What can I use to clean them up?

thanks

·
Registered
580 Posts
Not to disagreee Snofrog but a recent Snowtech article says brake/carb cleaners should not be used on clutches becuase they get absorbed into the sheaves then released when the clutch heats up.

I read that after using half a can of brake cleaner on mine of course.......

·
Registered
430 Posts
I read the same article. It said not to use brake cleaner or contact cleaner.
We use contact cleaner on aluminum to remove grease, oil, dirt etc all the time. It's basically electric parts cleaner. I disagree with the article for most practical purposes. Soap and water will not remove all of the oil and grease. In addtion the soap leaves a slippery film.
Acetone is of course the best but it's also the most harmful to you and the environment in addition the fumes are super flammable. They accumulate down low and ignite easily.

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Have used BrakeCleens for a long time now with no issues. Works great for cleaning the clutch housing of debris as well.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lots of good input, will the Scotch Brite Pad scratch the clutch? If I use brake cleaner should I wash the clutch off after with dish soap?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Lots of good input, will the Scotch Brite Pad scratch the clutch? If I use brake cleaner should I wash the clutch off after with dish soap?[/b]
I use a good degreaser with a tooth brush for the 1st good scrub to get the build up off(simple green, or the orange stuff or a SOS soap pad). Then wash them in HOT water w/ some dish soap and dry off with compressed air.
NO lube during re assemble, but use anti sieze on the crank.

Some use a grafite spray lube (comet brand) to lube the helix and slides when re assembling.

mutt

·
Registered
578 Posts
I use a good degreaser with a tooth brush for the 1st good scrub to get the build up off(simple green, or the orange stuff or a SOS soap pad). Then wash them in HOT water w/ some dish soap and dry off with compressed air.
NO lube during re assemble, but use anti sieze on the crank.

Some use a grafite spray lube (comet brand) to lube the helix and slides when re assembling.

mutt[/b]
I think I'd skip the anti sieze on the crank snout. It should be dry.

Dab on the keyway on the secondary but that's all I'd do.

I use brake clean to get the residue off, then scotch brite the surface and finish up with good old hot water and soap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts