Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had the tank off my safari glx. i put some degreaser called Orange. i had some water in with it, i let it soak inside for about 30 min or so. i then took my power washer and washed it out real good then i hung the tank up side down filler neck to the bottom and let it sit for a couple days. well when i got back i found some tar like stuff inside my tank. it was kind of sticky. what is this stuff and how do i get rid of it? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
i had the tank off my safari glx. i put some degreaser called Orange. i had some water in with it, i let it soak inside for about 30 min or so. i then took my power washer and washed it out real good then i hung the tank up side down filler neck to the bottom and let it sit for a couple days. well when i got back i found some tar like stuff inside my tank. it was kind of sticky. what is this stuff and how do i get rid of it? Thanks![/b]

Thats old fuel thats what happens after it gets old.Get a can of carb cleaner it will clean it up real nice just dont breathe the fumes :lookaround:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this stuff is thick. im afraid that if i leave it the way it is then my new gas will soften it back up then I will have a problem. Wish i could just get a new tank but they are next to impossible to find.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
this stuff is thick. im afraid that if i leave it the way it is then my new gas will soften it back up then I will have a problem. Wish i could just get a new tank but they are next to impossible to find.[/b]
No dont leave it in there try to scrape most of it out with a long screw driver and a rog then use the carb clean it will clean it up.I had a tank fron a 1970 alpine that was the same way the fuel had been in the tank for atleast 10 years it was just like you are describing and the carb clean cleaned it up nice!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts