Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the oil brand discussion has given rise to the need to clean the RAVE valves.  this is a completely new system to me, so any advise and instruction would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
There used to be a good explanation in the Tech section of this web site.  I assume it will be back up and running, when Corey launches the new site.

So you only have 14 day, 8 hours, 42 min and 30 sec to wait.(no 29sec, 28sec, 27sec, 26sec) well you get the idea.

Its really not hard to do.  Infact I did mine with no instructions.

In simple terms,
1 - pull the plastic cap off
2 - undue two allen screws
3 - watch spring pop out, and chase it across the garage floor (JK - but watch for the spring)
4 - pull off spring or zip tie from rubber boot
5 - pull valve out of cylinder (may be hard, it helps to soften up the carbon with some carb cleaner)
6 - once apart, clean everything up with carb cleaner and a scotch brite pad
7 - reassemble everything (make sure valve is put back in the right way "this side up")

From memory thats basically it.  You may need new gaskets depending on the shape of them.  Once clean, they should move freely in and out of the cylinder.  A rag with cleaner and srewdriver may be necessary to get in the tight areas.

I'm sure I'm forgeting something, its been a while since I have done them.  But I'm sure that will be enought to get you throught it.

FishHog

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yeah, what he said. Also make sure the small hole is not
covered by the gasket. And double check to make sure that
the valve is facing the correct direction. Screw red cap in
all the way if in lower elevations.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Ya, FishHog pretty much said it except why would you pull the spring and rubber boot off? None of that has to come off unless it's an old rave set up. A sharp putty knife on the gaskets will keep them from breaking but be gentle.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I get a lot of sludge/goo build up under my rubber boot.  I've just always taken it off and cleaned it.  Only adds about 5min to the job.

FishHog

·
Registered
191 Posts
On the RAVE valve cleaning instructions mentioned above and on the web site posted... both indicate that the vlave has "TOP" stamped on it.  This is not true on my 96 for whatever reason.  So, first time I had them out, I took it to a local dealer to confirm the installation (in case the prior owner had them in backwards)... what they told me didnt seem right... so went to another dealer.. they told me the opposite.  Not the first time this dealer messed up...now they are no longer a Bombardier dealer. (they keep selling Honda's though.. hmmm).

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I run a drill bit by hand down the hole to make sure the passage way is open.

I've made myself a small slide hammer to pull the valve out in case it is stuck. Since I went to the Amsoil, this hasn't been a problem. I'll post a picture of it when I get a chance. The thread is metric.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Here's a photo of the puller. It's 1/4-20 threaded rod with a nut on one end. The weight is a 1 1/2" long piece of 1 1/2" dia. CRS. This has a 5/16" dia. hole drilled thru the center.

The part that threads on to the RAVE valve is drilled & tapped halfway for 1/4-20 & the other half is tapped M8 X 1 for the metric thread of the RAVE valve.
Any questions, just fire away.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
That a good Idea Revred.  I might just have to fab one of them up.

Thanks for the tip.

FishHog

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yamalube, a cleaning once a year, and a metric allen wrench is all you should need to do the job  

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Yamalube in a 'doo?
Depending on the miles per season & burning a conventional oil, I think you would want to clean them halfway thru the season & then when the season is over.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yes, Yamalube in a doo! I love my Skidoo's, but, if I have one bad thing to say about Skidoo it's their OIL! I think they recycle it from diesel trucks to tell ya the truth.
An average season for most is under 2000 miles. Mine is a little more and come spring I pull the raves. They really dont need cleaning, but I do it anyway just to be tip top for next season.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Rave cleaning is a good idea but who actualy cleans them every 500-1000 miles. You would spend half your life in the garage. Man that is a lot of beer.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Some guys are probably looking for another reason to head for the garage.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
great answers and now i have the knowledge to get the job done.  as the sled is new to me, i have no idea when they were cleaned last so this will definately be on the maintenance to do list.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Hey FishHog, I live about 12 miles from Corunna!

Corunna Michigan that is
 And here I thought I had a snowmobile buddy to go out in the garage with and drink beer!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Well, I've never been to Corunna, MI.  If your buying the beer, it just might be worth the trip.

FishHog

1 - 20 of 23 Posts