Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a dumb question but... I read everywhere you should clean your exhaust valves as part of the pre season maintenance but no one says how to. How do you do this? Is there a kit for gaskets and what ever els is in there, or do you just take it off and spray it down with carb or brake clean? Also whats the deal with the Stainless valve kit that I read about is that something I should do? Thanks, Mike

It is a 2001 600 VES engine and I am running Amsoil Intercept oil.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
well as for the stainless, no you do not need them but they are nice if you wnat to put the money in it. as for cleaning, i soak mine in carb cleaning (spray a bunch in a small container and let them sit overnight) then very gentaly using a scotch pad clean the residue off. DO NOT USE A WIRE BRUSH. this may cause damage and you will have problems.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Stainless steel valves are just for 800VES engines. I use SeaFoam on mine, soak them for a little while, it helps. Your valves are made out of aluminum, keep that in mind, the idea is to clean them up without taking any metal off or putting big scatches in the surface. Don't use any steel wire or scrapers to do the job. I use a small brass ( which is probably harder than aluminum, I know) brush on the tuff deposits, just don't get carried away. It would bee a good time to look at your bellows ( the rubber diaphram the valve attaches too) and look for rips and or holes. I 've already replaced mine on a 01 600, your probably about due.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went out to look to see what it was going to take to get them off and noticed that the right valve has a little bit of oil around the blue center adjuster? not sure what that is, looks like you could put a flat head screwdriver in it and turn it. The other one is completely dry... is that telling me something (gaskets, seals, broken?). All I can find are complete top end gasket kits I haven't been able to find a kit just for the valves anyone know where I can get them?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Most times you can reuse the original gaskets - which are available at your local Polaris dealer. Unless he's completely useless (and some are!) he'll have those gaskets in stock if you do happen to need them.

When you remove the valves for cleaning, remove the cover from the side that's leaking. If you see a lot of that black gook in there, it got past that diaphram somehow, usually meaning the diaphram has a hole in it. Black gook on the engine side of the diaphram is normal. Where you are describing, is not.

I'm not aware that stainless valves are available for the 6/700. That's changed?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have not seen any stainless for 600/700's either. The issue with damage seems to occur in the 800's because when the cylinder was punched out to make the 800, the water jacket does not flow as much coolant as a 700... less cooling can mean the VES valve assembly heats up to the point that the aluminum melts, causing failure. I have not seen anyone post with that problem with a 600 or a 700...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Try Legend Oil. Check the website for testimonials. I can say from my experiences with Legend that their oil/lube products are far superior than any other on the market. To say anything else would be pointless. Try it and see!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts