Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on getting a clear gas tank but I heard that they can fade and ruin gas. I Was wondering if it is true?
thanks

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
They aren't really clear to start with. If you have seen the large plastic cans that the local stock car guys use, that's the same material. Affecting gas, I don't know. I can't see it affecting gas. On my '01 MXZ there are marks on the tank that are identical to ones on the racer. I would assume the plastic is the same material except the production ones are black.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
sunlight does affect the quality of gas this is why most cans are red or solid in color.I use the clear cans for alcohol only and not in direct sunlight.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I'm sure the gas is not in the tank in the sun long enough to have any effect.  Unless you don't ride for a long time, but then it wouldn't be sitting out uncovered in the sun, would it?

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
the tests I saw was in circle track magazine,testing was done by smokey yunick using unical 110(known to most as sunoco race gas 110 octane) and in the article it stated that after one hour in direct sunight the octane had begun to lower as well as the additives package starting to separate from the fuel.this fuel is more like the gas we buy for our cars and can be mixed with pump gas,than some race fuels on the market.so it leads me to one question performancex and others to ponder, what amout of time is to much?

·
Registered
310 Posts
some clear tanks have a UV rating on them ive seen, but it still can ruin the gas cuz of the rays.  id just say stick with the black or whatever.

·
Registered
858 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">some clear tanks have a UV rating on them ive seen, but it still can ruin the gas cuz of the rays[/b][/quote]

Hmmm, that give's me a good idea, a little bit of sunscreen lotion on the tank should doo the job

1 - 8 of 8 Posts