Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys can i get an accurate measurement using a 3/8 keystock bar and vernirer callipers? i understand the x and y measurements but when i jam the bar in the secondary it doesn`t even touch the inside sheeve, is this a good indication it`s out of alignment?

·
Registered
49 Posts
With a doo or pol secondary, it can work. With the cat, it's kinda hard.

The bar is not going to touch the primary sheave. Just go by the measurements.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does the bar rub the inside sheeve on the primary clutch to give proper alignment, while the secondary holds the bar tight?if this is the case, the motor  will have to be moved a bit towards the pto side. the sled is 780 mach z. thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
No, it does not. You will find that if you install your belt with that alignment, the belt will also be right against the primary sheave. You will also find that your belt will run hot, and may squeel. It may also come apart on you. If you have the book, just use the measurements given. Make sure that the bar is properly pinched between the secondary sheaves and is straight. You should then be able to check X and Y.

From the '98 book (I believe this will work for you):

X (back of primary, towards secondary): 35mm (1.38in)
Y (front of primary, towards hood hinge): X+1.5mm (.060in)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
f111 mtn, thanks for the good info. guess i was looking too close at the picture and not paying enough attention to the given measurements.thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts