Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:nervous: I just getting ready to clean my clutch and carbs, but need to know the best way to do both. I usually will tear into anything on a sled but when it comes to motor parts, I'm a little unsure? Is there a diagrahm anywhere online that shows how a carb should go together and come apart? Also what should I do to clean the clutch.
Its a 99 mxz 670 H.O.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a friend who is a service manager for a Honda/Yamaha deaker and he told me a neat trick for cleaning carbs that works great. They take apart the carb normally and clean the parts they can remove, but then soak the carb body in Simple Green for 20 minutes. Simple Green is bio-degradable and water based, so it cleans up easily with water. I have tried it before, and it works better than soaking it in carb cleaner and it is a lot cheaper. Just make sure you blow out all of the moisture and let it dry well. Do not let the carb body sit in the Simple Green for more than 20 minutes.

Also, Simple Green is awesome for cleaning the engine compartment of the sled, including the clutches. Once the clutches are dry, you can clean up their faces with a mild Scotch-Brite pad and some acetone. If you wish to take apart the clutches, make sure you have all of the clutch tools and have someone knowledable show you how to take them apart and reassemble them. The two most common mistakes are loosing shims from the back of the secondary (which would cause the clutches to be mis-aligned and blow belts) and not putting the primary back together correctly indexed (the clutches are balanced and have indexing marks). Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts