Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started working on my '88 El Tigre today, and came up with some questions...  First off, it has a little over 4000 miles and the drive clutch makes a rattling sound at idle.  Under a load it's quiet and it works engages and shifts fine, should I take it in for repairs or is this normal?  Also, I want to get the cylinders replated and put in a wiseco piston kit (part# SK1000), how much can I expect to pay for replating (440cc Liquid Cooled, not overboring it) and where can I order the kit?  Oh, and what could I expect to pay for new track clips?  The last owner wore the slide rails to bare metal so they're sorta chewed up...  I'm sure I'll have more to ask after I tinker with it later but if anyone can help with any of this I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks!!!
-Jason

·
Registered
430 Posts
Please don't take offense to this because I at one time was in the same boat.
I personally think you need to take the $'s that you are going to spend on your
almost 15year old machine and purchase a more reliable and better riding machine.
You are talking about  rebuilding the entire sled. Think about it. You will need to rebuild the entire motor, I.E. rings, pistons, gaskets, heads etc.,etc.,. In addition your track and slide rails are wore out. The money that you will spend rebuilding your sled will far outway what you could purchase used.
For example: On average you can pick up 96-97' ZRT 600's for around $ 1,200.00-1,700.00 dollars. I guarantee that you will spend close to that restoring your current sled.
I would highly suggest that you look in the paper or "on-line" for something that you will be much happier with.
Just drive your current machine until it completely dies and put some $ away in the mean time for a newer machine.
Just my 5 cents.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I went all through my 90 650 wild cat redid the cylinders, boughtthe weisco piston kit, got the seals ect, ran good for 800 miles then a new piston and rings ect.  weiscos are good , but you must let them warm up very good.  good luck with what ever you do,  by the way i got ride of that wild cat and got a zrt 800.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no offense taken taxicat...  I don't know where you are, but no place around here would sell a 96-97 for less than 3 grand.  Bought my tigre 3 err 4 years ago for $1300 and that was a steal.  Considering there isn't a scratch on it and I love the way it rides and looks, to me it's worth putting a few bucks into.  After talking to a local shop about replating I think I'll stay with stock pistons but I want to at least know about the clutch and fix a few other minor things.  Which reminds me, where the heck do you get clamps for that tiny 1/8 inch tubing??  I replaced the fuel injection lines last year but had to use small plastic wire ties because no one sells those things. (the original tubing was much thicker and used bigger clamps)...  thnx

·
Registered
757 Posts
I think by '88 Cat had switched to the Comet 102 or 108 clutch.  Those things always rattle at idle.  I would still plan on a clutch re-built though, considering the miles and assuming it has never been touched in the past.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a 102, has the steel plate instead of aluminum..  How much would a rebuild cost? Could I get away with just new bushings in the cam arms maybe? I'd take the driven in too to have the plastic wear pieces replaced at least...  but before I consider it, how much $$ am I looking at?  Just need a guesstimate... thanks

A

·
0 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TaxiCat @ Sep. 21, 2002, 02:10am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For example: On average you can pick up 96-97' ZRT 600's for around $ 1,200.00-1,700.00 dollars[/b][/quote]
I'd like to know where this is possible, I'd buy a bunch of them.

A

·
0 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mac J @ Sep. 23, 2002, 9:11pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Could I get away with just new bushings in the cam arms maybe?[/b][/quote]
That is only part of it, the bushings on the shaft wear out too.

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mac J @ Sep. 21, 2002, 01:00am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">how much can I expect to pay for replating (440cc Liquid Cooled, not overboring it)[/b][/quote]
SnowmobileWorld offers replating service through Millennium for $160 per cylinder. The cylinders MUST go through SW to get this great deal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SWWebmaster @ Sep. 24, 2002, 09:20am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mac J @ Sep. 21, 2002, 01:00am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">how much can I expect to pay for replating (440cc Liquid Cooled, not overboring it)[/b][/quote]
SnowmobileWorld offers replating service through Millennium for $160 per cylinder. The cylinders MUST go through SW to get this great deal.[/b][/quote]
Can you send me information on this re-plating deal that you have?  How does one send the cyl in for repair through you?

Thanks
6Mile

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (6Mile @ Sep. 24, 2002, 4:50pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SWWebmaster @ Sep. 24, 2002, 09:20am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mac J @ Sep. 21, 2002, 01:00am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">how much can I expect to pay for replating (440cc Liquid Cooled, not overboring it)[/b][/quote]
SnowmobileWorld offers replating service through Millennium for $160 per cylinder. The cylinders MUST go through SW to get this great deal.[/b][/quote]
Can you send me information on this re-plating deal that you have?  How does one send the cyl in for repair through you?

Thanks
6Mile[/b][/quote]
SW has worked out a great deal through Millennium for replating Nickel Silicon Composite cylinders.

You cannot send the cylinder directly to Millennium to get this deal. It must come to us first.

If you want information on where to send them, please PM me.

The cost this year is $160.00 for replating, $ 180.00 for boring and replating.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
You can easily find a great machine for $1,200-$2,000 in MN. Look on ebay and classifieds like sledtrader.com and other sites. Look on this site from time to time. Ebay is the place though. And the yahoo auctions and classifieds.
Caleb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts