Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am probably going to use a Comet 4 post clutch on my Mach when I get it done. I have found a used 4 post with not allot of miles on it for a good price.

It is Comet# 207204A and all I can find from Comet is that number is for a 96-97 ski doo. I cannot find what sled or engine exactly.

According to Comet, the last 2 numbers are for application. Any clutch ending in "04" will fit where any part number ending in "04".

The 4 post for a 97 MachZ is #217607. But the number for a 583 clutch is 217604. And according to them, this clutch I am looking at will fit on the 583.

I wanted to know, what is the difference between a 97 MachZ clutch and a 97 MXZ 583 clutch? Is it belt width, or crankshaft taper?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The price is good enough on the clutch to get it machined, does anyone think it could be recut?

Is the Mach taper longer or shorter? If it is longer, I think I can get it re-cut.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
All I can tell ya is, to pull a 583 clutch you cant use a puller for a 670 or bigger engine. Seems the 583 has a puller all its own.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm not to sure on this, but the 583 twin and the triples do have different clutches. The only difference I know of for sure is that the twins have the rubber isolation to absorb vibration. The triples (which do use a different puller) do NOT have the rubber to help isolate the vibration. I guess they feel the triple runs smoother, so doesn't need the rubber. I would also guess the triple clutches are basically the same as the early TRAs-with different calibrations. I'm not sure, but would think the comet would bolt on--calibrating it may be fun and time consuming unless you have the proper specs for it. I don't think there is a difference in crankshaft taper, but a dealer should be able to tell you for sure. I know that I have put a early TRA on a type 454 engine and after a LOT of playing with calibration, it works great--taper is not a problem on that interchange.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found out the differnce. The taper is shorter on the clutch off of the 583 and smaller engines. Also they use the 1 3/8 belts where the Mach uses the 1 7/16 wide belts.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Don't worry about the belt width. You can adjust the clutch to fit either belt. I use a 95,96 mach 1 belt on my 583 race sled. Maybe the rear half of the clutch is affordable or if you know a good machinist.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts