Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has a 1979 kawasaki invader 440. The problem is that we cant get the primary clutch off. I tightened the clutch puller bolt as tight as I can get it while still keeping my manhood then heated it up while hitting the bolt with a mini sledge hammer (nothing seems to work). Any ideas would be great.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Remove puller and fill with grease. Then install puller and you have advantage of hydraulics....It does work. do not hit with hammer you can damage the crank. Although when all else fails "beat the sh-- out of it..." :cussing:

·
Registered
21 Posts
My brother had the same problem when he had his invader. This is probably not the best way to do this, but it works. What you do is take a 3 ft. long (or so) 2x4 and cut a v out of the bottom. You will then put the v on the movable sheave of the clutch and hit it with a hammer or a sledge. Rotate the clutch a quarter turn each time until it comes off.

I hope this helps,
Shawn

·
Registered
24 Posts
penatrating oil, the grease some times will work, i,ve heard from some guy,s going to a 2 piece puller bolt works, make sure you,ve got the correct puller that goes inside the clutch bolt threads and not just on the end of the crank, can make a mess of the threads with the hammering going on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ive got an 80 ivader and i had to take the clutch off. I tried to pull it off but it didnt do anything so i started it up and let it worked its self off. After a while it came off

·
10,054 Posts
Originally posted by guns@Mar 8 2004, 12:28 AM
Ive got an 80 ivader and i had to take the clutch off. I tried to pull it off but it didnt do anything so i started it up and let it worked its self off. After a while it came off
What???? You pulled the bolt and started it up,,,, and it came off ITSELF???

I have to be reading that wrong,,,when it did come off, it would launch off the end of the crank and go through the side of the sled, the hood, the floor pan, or the garage roof or wall,,,,,

·
Registered
8 Posts
i used to start her up for a couple of seconds then turn her off and check to see if it moved or loosen up then if it did i would see if i could get it off with my hands,
i did this until it was loose so i could take it off with my hands

1 - 9 of 9 Posts