Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding today, and everything was fine ill I went to accelerate at one point and I got a real growl from the clutch area, with no acceleration. so I checked it, and now Anytime it accelerates there is no torque there, If i slowed down to a stop and used the brake, i had to help push it to get it going so it didn't burn the belt, its not the engine, it revs up great and just makes the belt smoke. At 40+ mph or so it seemed to run ok, but it seemed to be working harder than it should have been.

I think the secondary clutch has f**ked up, but im not sure how to tell, I was thinking at first the spring had broke in it, but i'm not sure(its still hard to open by hand). It could also be the primary clutch, but it seems to be working fine. Any real way to test these? The sled has 10,000 miles, so a clutch rebuild is probably not outta the question(I didnt own it till 8000), i'd just rather not waste time doing both, what you think? 95 xlt 600 is the sled.

I drove it about 80 miles to get home, it was either that, or walk....

thanks
steve

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Hey Steve, think your right about the clutch problem. Glad to here you at least made it home, nothing worse than being stuck! Clutch service is probably in order at this mileage but to warn you sometimes if there is excessive wear replacement is wiser. If you suspend the back of the sled off the ground and accelerate the engine with the hood up and clutch cover removed (careful here!) you should be able to watch the primary clutch move in and the secondary drop down. Maybe this will give you an idea whats wrong.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i've done that, and of course it seems to run fine like that. ill pull the secondary off tomorrow and maybe take it apart and have a look. turning the secondary by hard the track turns freely , and no binding or anything, so its definitely primary or secondary clutch. Anyone have any rebuild instructions for the secondary's on these? ive have never really touched clutching before.

thanks

-steve

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well... i took the secondary off and took it apart. The spring was all mangled, and I highlighted where the spring was riding on the ramps (its hard to see, my camera sucks).

I'm not sure what made it do that, but I actually think RAMP actually came up and over and forced the spring to de-spring itself and maybe thats what made the spring get mangled and sit in the ramps path. .. just theories

-steve

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
you might want to give joe joes a call he is in bright.he is a scrap dealer,all he has is polaris and ski doo stuff.i know he checkes everything before he sells it.he is usually a quarter the cost of rebuilding or a new one. his number is 519-454-8791. its worth a shot.i have bought alot of stuff for my 2 there.

·
Registered
593 Posts
thats one dirty clutch.[/b]

Haha, yeah and i thought mine was dirty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts