1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sled- 96 Mach 1
670 twin pipe & 44's
problems--
blew two belts into shreds on top end runs(lake)
took it to ski-doo dealer(Larrys in Orangeville) put on resurfaced clutches as he said mine were cracked from heat, realigned belt and put on a new ski-doo top-cog belt.
Sled worked well for 1 weekend trip(250 miles) but showed signs of belt wear(thread on side of belt)
Doing pre-season check and I noticed burnt black belt build-up on bottom inside and outside of motor clutch.
scrubbed it off and noticed fine cracking starting on both sides.
I just did this 250 miles ago. WTF
Is there any way the motor mounts are worn badly to allow for mis-alignment under load? Can the ramps be worn to cause this?
It is a high Milage sled but it still rocks when I,m not changing belts.
Any suggestions would be helpfull. THANX
PS. I drive it like I stole it!!!! :angry:

·
Registered
211 Posts
As long as you are SURE they properly aligned the clutches and the clutches are in sound working order (balanced properly, good working order), I would say it would have to be one of the following things:

1. Bad motor mount causing some deflection under load (most likely).

2. Your crankshaft is out of round, causing a "wooble".

3. Bent jack-shaft or bad jack-shaft bearing. (least likely)

To check things out, start by checking the motor mounts. Have the crankshaft inspected. And as for the jack shaft, open the chain case and pull off the top sprocket, freeing up the shaft (take off the belt too). You should be able spin it and either hear the bearing or check to see if it is out of round. A good mechanic should be able to diagnose it. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts