Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with a 97 VMAX 800 that is not happy with the clutching. The sled doesn't work well on the trails but the lake is fine. Has any body put a clutch kit in this machine and how did it work? I tried looking on various websites and could not find anything for the that year sled. Thanks in advance pete.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I know a guy that has set records dragging his and he could never get his trail sled 800 perfect. He said he'd loose to much on top. Once he had that sleds crank welded to fire at 180degreee like his race sled he was able to get it to run better.  that motor was built to scream over 100mph.
Caleb

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sea level setup:
Main Jets: 142.5
Run carb float bowl vents to outside the hood (under the bars is good).
Drive Clutch:
RPC spring Yel/Grn part # 9070
(RPC phone # 262-251-8472)
If you do the 3 above thing it will make a very fast trail sled for under $100.
The 97 800 is rare, only Vmax-4 with the XT rear skid.
It can be even better (in the trial) with a roller driven clutch but it cost much more. You can also buy new head gaskets and remove the rivets and install only one layer. That would bring the comp up to around 140~145 with the stock pipes.
Drop one tooth on the upper gear will also help (you can drop much more but it cost more).
The 180* crank setup I don't care for you also have to buy a new CDI box, pipes. Big cash and lots of work for 20hp or so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts