Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has an 01 MXZ 800 and was woundering what the best all around clutch set up is.He weighs in at 240 pounds if that helps.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
since I bought my Cat, Ski-Doo clutching draws a blank. I remember that for that big a rider you should try and gear in the 170's like a 24/42 or 23/42. I used to phone Fast enterprises in Headingly, Manatoba and pic the old guys brains and they were always helpful and knew what combo's worked

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
After a whole season of playing with mine this is what i've found worked the best but each one of these sleds doesn't seem to like the same setup.I weigh 235lb so hopefully this should get your friend close,cause it works pretty good for me
right now.
primary stock-set on #3
white sec spring with straight 50 helix set at 23lbs(i tried a 50/48 but found the straight 50 worked better)
24 tooth top gear
It pulls real hard up to around 175km then noses it's way to 180kmh.Hope this helps ya.There are several others on here who have had some luck with there 800's and hopefully they'll have some info as well.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks z800rtx I'll pass on the information to my friend.I'm sure it'll help.Thanks again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Played around a bit this year with my settup, but never got the time I needed to really test.  Anytime I went up north it was only for a couple of days, and I wanted to ride.  Anyway, as z800rtx said, these 800 all have their own personality.  I finally settled on thundershift arms, Cudneys primary spring, cudneys secondary spring and helix (which I think is same as stock, only the helix is coated), 27 tooth top gear, rave caps backed out flush with cover, 490 main jets, and MBRP trail silencer.  I messed around with a couple other helix's, and secondary springs, and have been back and fourth with the 26 and 27 gear.  If I uncouple my rear blocks, and then flip the stoppers up on the rear suspension, I can beat the XC700's and 800's, as well as stock MXZ800's off the line.  Another great source of information is on snowest.com, go into the "performance/mod" section and post the question for Big John.  He has multiple settups he can give you, and most are just spring, helix, and pin weight changes.  One other thing, I am running a Dayco 2 belt, and it was better performing than the stock 127 doo belt, but not as durable.  I have a 067 doo belt I will try next, and is a harder compound than the 127.  If your friend has the stock exhaust can, look into a restrictor, as some of the guys I have talked to swear by them, and they are cheap.

·
Registered
100 Posts
19.5 g pins,280ramps,primary(#414768200  200/290) 50/47 helix,roller secondary,beige spring set at 15lbs,carbon tech medium tension reeds,speedwerx head,mbrp can,advance timing 2 degrees,25/43 gearing=good bye ZR 800 and XC 800

·
Registered
556 Posts
talk to glh racing, he will set u up with a zr 900 killer in 1000 ft. I have a heel clicker setup with port and head mods with gearing and a 1.25 setup that will eat anything on snow from ditch to field thanks to GLH racing. Thanks DAMON my mxz800 rocks.  P.S bring on the zr 900.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Speed is Everything, who did your porting, and what head mod do you have?  Any pipes? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
556 Posts
kid rocker, don emery at dne perf in canada ported my machine and i have the rk-tek head, no pipes. I tried the dynoport single and lost 4 hp on the dyno with the ported motor.I am also running a 25 tooth top gear.As far as jetting i am currently running 450's but will be going to 440's.My rpms are at 8100 corrected because the ported motor likes to breath more. I also had to switch to a 1.25 predator track with 96 down the middle. I also told the dealer not to do the mpem reprogram to the sled because i heard that they retard the timming 2 degrees in addition to the re-breakin period to match the 02 timming. My heelclicker is complements of glh racing. plus a couple of tricks i came up with for the new zr 900.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts