Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If need be how hard would it be for 2 large dudes to compress and install the stock clutch springs in a 97 F3 without tools?

I know it can be done on some sleds but I am unsure on this one.

Thanks

·
Registered
799 Posts
I spent $7 (Canadian) at the local home store for some black pvc piping to come up with this tool. I had a hydraulic press to work with in the garage, but with 2 people one could push on it while the other removes the retaining ring.

Jacqui.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Or, if you have a welder, you should be able to come up with something pretty quick. A long bolt and some washers are all ya need for the primary- you aren't going to get that by hand. Well, maybe, but I'd still use a bolt and washers. I've been able to get polaris secondaries by hand, but not ski-doo's- just me maybe.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
with my white spring you cant do it by hand,you can compress it but try to keep it compressed while you twist the half to get the helix to go over one ramp,with the new rer i think you can do it by hand

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Steve,

The pri springs are pretty stiff in them, not like the 160/230 in your sled.

I know where you could have used one on Thur. LOL

I think MXZonly is talking a pri spring here guys.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I know that the doo beige and yellow can be done by hand with 2 guys on the secondary.Forget trying to doo the white by hand like Pantera said.

·
Registered
361 Posts
MXZonly, I just use a long 1/2" bolt with a large washer at one end, and I found that the one half of a muffler clamp drilled with a 1/2" hole in the center for the bolt, allowes you to compress cam (helix) in order to remove or install snapring.
Hope this helps and I'll try to get pic. tomorrow !

·
Registered
310 Posts
Me and my friend did the primary spring by hand. Secondary was a diff story, I just had my friend (zack) whos dad owns a sled shop do it for me.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave Im talking about both the primary and secondary springs. I couldnt have done it on Thursday because he hasnt bought the parts yet. I just wanted to know for when we were ready.

Hey Dave go leave me some feedback on Ebay will ya?

I left you some good feedback, check it out.

I know we did mine without the tool but I just wanted to see if we were gonna be able to do my friends F3 or not that way.

Thanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
Both are real easy if done right. For the primary clutch You can make your own spring compressor cheaply . Use a piece of 1/2" threaded rod, 1 end in a vice, the other with a nut/washer( I use a nut and 6205 bearing instead of the washer to make it real smooth and easy). For the secondary I do them By myself on the bench woth my 2 hands and a rubber mallet. Get the spring in place, align the keyway and get it started by hand, using your hands turn rotate the sheaves 1/3 turn and hold with 1 hand while you whack the helix with the mallet, once its past the groove drop on the washer and put on the snap ring( while still holding the clutch with the other hand) once the snap rings on let got and youre done. It sounds harder than it is, I can pull a clutch, swap helixes and reinstall in 5 minutes or less on the trail.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hey limskii, on your primary compressor in the 1st pic try using a bearing from a bogie wheel between the washer and the spring cup, it makes the process real smooth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts