Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking in the parts manuals for replacement drive clutch weights and noticed that the 2001 ZR800 has 66g weights and the 2002 ZR800 has 70.5g weights. Their does not seem to be any bother differences. Anybody running heavier weights in a 01? How do they work? Anybody running Speedwerx Weights? Wich ones? Thanks Pete

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, the "01" ZR800's were having a couple of problems with their clutching setup. When you started a cold eng. and didn't let it warm up for a few min. and tryed to take off the drive clutch would engauge the drive belt and pull it down into the driven clutch. This would change the clutch ratio and you could hardely get the sled to move. If you warmed up the eng. for 5 min. or so the underhood temp would rise warming the belt which allowed the belt to move easier and also the sled. The second problem was belt slippage at top end or when the drive cl. went into overdrive. Anyhow the 2002 ZR800 had two clutching changes. A red/white driven cl. spring and like you said 70.5g weights.

Auggie

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If thats the case then why would they put heavier weights in and not a stiffer spring. The rest of the clutch has all the same part numbers.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had to switch my clutch weights on my M-Cat 800 le to 70 grams.  I was having alot of trouble with belt slippage and the sled was reving past its peak horsepower..

The 70 grams brought the R's right to spec for the best power.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, they did install a stronger spring in the driven cl. Like I said they went to a red spring with a white stripe in the driven. The stock spring in "01" was yellow (#92) and the red/white is a #113. When they changed to the r/w sp. the eng overeved so they kept adding weight until they got the RPM down to around 7400 - 7500 hundred and that turned out to be 70.5g.

Auggie

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry Auggie I didn't notice the spring in the secondary had changed. This brings me back to the dealer issue I spoke about earlier Why aren't all the dealers up to speed on this? Frustrating!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts