So how many of you take care of your clutches I think its
one of the many important tasks you should doo to maintain
a good running machine. I just took brake cleaner and a brush
and had at it! Later Dave

BEFORE...

[attachment=40670:Wrench_f...2007_019.jpg]

After

[attachment=40671:Wrench_f...2007_027.jpg]

Back together make sure you line up the 2 marks on a TRA clutch!

[attachment=40672:Wrench_f...2007_030.jpg]

And then once back on the SLeD make sure all 3 marks are lined up.

[attachment=40673:Wrench_f...2007_034.jpg]

So nice having the right tools to!

[attachment=40674:Wrench_f...2007_035.jpg]

Checked out the airbox mod I did ....looks like the SLP
pre-filters were dooing their job. All that crap would have been
sucked right in to the carbs!

[attachment=40675:Wrench_f...2007_038.jpg]

Got the Idooski A-Arm bushings done!

[attachment=40679:Wrench_f...2007_046.jpg]

You can always find a cold drink in my SLeDSHeD!!!

[attachment=40676:Wrench_f...2007_048.jpg]

I think its about time to get a BLIZZARD! LOL

[attachment=40678:Wrench_f...2007_044.jpg]

The secondary spacer mod!

[attachment=40680:Wrench_f...2007_024.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
I won't be ready as You are for a month :bash:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Are you destroying the belts playing in the powder? Ive destroyed one when I was playing around in a field pretty hard. After that, I got rid of the plastic belt guard and took the tool kit out of there for more air circulation and havent had a problem since, but I dont get that much pow pow. Was debating on the spacer to float the sec.

·
10,054 Posts
I would say not to use brake cleaner on the clutches,,, brake cleaner has chemicals in it that can eat away at bushings in your clutch,,, I like using water and compressed air.

Yes, mine are cleaned every spring when they go to sleep for the summer and they are checked out before every trip up north,,, much rather find that crack before it grenades on you,,,

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Not a good idea to use any hydrocarbon based materials on the clutch, the aluminum is pourous and will suck up some of the chemical and then it gets on the belt as the clutch heats up. That promotes slipping and more heat.

I clean mine with soap and water and a scotch brite pad, although I have been told that may not be rough enough. 150-200 grit emery cloth was recommened to me by the mechanic... Anything smaller will leave the clutch too smooth and it can't grab the belt.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I wash my clutch most of the time, after every ride. I use soapy water and scotchbrite/green pads. You should wash your clutches often, not just once a year. This will keep your clutch efficient and free moving with less wear on your moving parts. Don't forget to clean the faces also. For this I use Acetone and brown scotchbrite.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I can tell you that dealers and other repair shops pretty much all use brake cleaner on the sheave faces. Additionally, all the dealer-authored shop manuals I have read specify cleaning clutch parts with *solvent* (ie brake cleaner). I have read the SLP article that says only use soap and very hot water, and I've done it both ways many times. The mechanic I asked about this basically scoffed at the soap and hot water idea, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. I can't see any differences in results or performance or belt-life either way. Maybe if you are racing the results might show up in tenths of a second...or maybe not. Although personally I don't like brake cleaner, be careful where you spray it and it's definitely better than leaving your clutches dirty.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
hey, never cleaned a clutch before, what tools are needed besides a ratchet and a clutch puller?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I been washing them in HOT sopy water w/ a SOS pad. This year I been on a "simple green" kick , since I striped my panels and needed something to prep them with for new graphics. I just used it on them too for the first scub, just sprayed it on and use a small paint brush / rinse and in the bucket of hot soapy water w/ a SOS scrub.

This one held up 4 stud backers, ekkk!
[attachment=40693:clutch_1.jpg]

Nice in clean
[attachment=40692:clutch_3.jpg]

Dave just take your belt off and wash the faces good , scuff them up a bit and wash your belt (hot soapy water) , you'll be good to go :thumbsup:

mutt

Attachments

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dave just take your belt off and wash the faces good , scuff them up a bit and wash your belt (hot soapy water) , you'll be good to go :thumbsup:

mutt[/b]
Yup still gotta do this Rick! And for everybody else I've cleaned my clutches on my.....
2001 2002 MXZ 800's since they were BRAND new! I still have my 01
with almost 7000 miles on her. I have never ever had any issues what so ever!
And you all know how I ride! But thanks for everyones advice :thumbsup: I guess
to each his own! LOL Have a nice day! :D Your pal Dave!

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Yup still gotta do this Rick! And for everybody else I've cleaned my clutches on my.....
2001 2002 MXZ 800's since they were BRAND new! I still have my 01
with almost 7000 miles on her. I have never ever had any issues what so ever!
And you all know how I ride! But thanks for everyones advice :thumbsup: I guess
to each his own! LOL Have a nice day! :D Your pal Dave![/b]
Well.....the 7000 miles on your 01 say's alot I must say.......and btw.. Have a nice day too.. :D

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Dave, I think you have worse issues than a dirty clutch. Your faces on both clutch indicate heavy slippage to me. Your primary is not even shifting all the way. Better buy a whole new set of springs and some adjustable pins and get some weight in their. Maybe even gearing it down will get it to shift all the way but slippage is looking very bad.
Cant believe Dave or Barry did'nt catch it.
I have said it before, Simple Green and a powerwasher will clean a clutch like brand new in 5 minutes. Why scrub with tooth brushes and expensive harmful solvents?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
you can see some slippage on there but for the riding that dave does it is totally understandable , heavy loads and powder on those clutchs and it will slip. take a trail rider riding 500 miles vs an off trail rider riding 500 miles in powder ,there is going to be difference and 9/10 times there is going to be more slippage on the powder rider.

Just make sure your faces are good and clean with a green scotchbrite pad.

Rick

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you can see some slippage on there but for the riding that dave does it is totally understandable , heavy loads and powder on those clutchs and it will slip. take a trail rider riding 500 miles vs an off trail rider riding 500 miles in powder ,there is going to be difference and 9/10 times there is going to be more slippage on the powder rider.

Just make sure your faces are good and clean with a green scotchbrite pad.

Rick[/b]
Finally someone understands! :inlove:

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree. I also think it could be less. a gear change would probably be the answer, allowing it to shift out more and limited slippage would be a result. it is obvious from the pics where the thing spends most of its time. gear it to spend that time at a higher ratio and it will slip less. one thing to note I have not seen mentioned is washing the belt before usage. the mold releasing agent that is on them can cause this as well. not saying it did :wink: .[/b]
Holy crap!!! I was just talking about changing my gears to dooman!
Dropping 2 teeth on top and adding 2 to the bottom! :thumbsup:
dooman doo you know how many teeth on top and bottom
does my sled have now? I couldn't find anything in my service manual!
Thanks buddy!!! -Dave
I basically want more bottom end than top end Copy?
Since I'm a off trail rider ya know {boondocker}! LOL

Attachments

1 - 20 of 80 Posts