Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys i really need  some help or opinions about my clutching on my 96 zr580 efi. My problem is when comeing to a striaght and i get on the gas moderatlly the snowmobile will slowly pick up speed to about 55mph and the rpms will go to 7000 and i can floor the throttle and the rpms and mph will not raise.But if i come out of the corner and just stand on the gas the snowmobile will just rip and the rpms will go to 8500 and as soon as i start to let off the gas the snowmobile will begin the problem all over again. I just had the clutches aligned so that shouldn't be the problem. Also my springs colors are orange on the primary should be yellow-orange and my secondary is yellow and should be red. I bought the sled this way. So any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Try removing one or two shims out of the secondary clutch. I had this same problem on my 02 800. With the aftermarket clutch kit I have on, it would pull the rpm's out of the hole, but anything over 20 mph when I got on the throttle hard it would only pull 6900 rpm. I removed two shims out of the secondary and now it pulls peak rpm no matter what speed I'm doing. Made a huge improvement

·
Registered
546 Posts
fastcato2: what is your handle in the maxsled forum? your signature sound very familiar. i think i will go there and see if i can figure out who you are?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Sorry buddy, but I don't use the max sleds forum. This is the only forum I am on. That other guy is an imposter and must be dealt with.J/k Honestly though, you have the wrong guy.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I must have a computer virus then, because i went to the othe site, saw the exact signature, got your message, went back and all the info from sledds is suddenly gone,
i hate those virus's  interesting.... LOL

·
Registered
416 Posts
What signature did you see? I have no idea. Unless someone is using my useless info than I have not a clue as to who this sledds guy is. For what reason would I have to hide my identity if it was me? Its not me and as I stated before this is the only board I use and will be the only board I use unless they kick me off for somethin. other than that there is an imposter and now he must really be dealt with.  

·
Registered
546 Posts
fastcato2 :lets go get him. After reading it i got the message.
it reads by this guy sledds:" i saw in another forum(this one and your post)" then he quotes your signature and a post you made, then says it should read "if it's a cat its a dog thank god i'm switching to polaris" end quote

I did seen your signature thinking it was you in the other forum and then went back and realized he abused it. when he read your post.

·
Registered
416 Posts
O.K now I'm mad. I hope he realized that he just p#ssed off a 300 pound monster thats gonna tear his head off. Just kidding, he's lucky I'm a mild mannered monster

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well, I found him and He don't sound to intelligent anyway so I'm not gonna go over there and pick on the mentally challenged. This board is the best. Good people with honest opinions and answers with some comedy thrown in as well. It looks as though that all you get over there is a bunch of bashing when you ask a question. The world is full of idiots and we don't need them here

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
you didn't eat the guy....did you?
 Just a routine sit-on-his-chest-till-he cries-for-mommy?

·
Registered
442 Posts
1greenmachine-

hey man i have a 96 ZR 580 EFI and i can't get the darn thing clutched right either.  under hard acceleration it will rev up to about 8500-8600 rpm but then right about 50 mph it will drop down to about 8000 and sounds like its bogging a little.  that is with the stock 51 degree secondary helix and spring but i have a 9-post primary clutch with yellow/green spring and 49.5 gram weights then i stepped up to 51.5 gram weights and it still over revs on hard acceleration but it pulls harder now

i tryed going to a 53 degree helix but it still revs up to about 8500 rpm on hard acceleration only now the top rpm drops down to about 7900-8000 rpm

i have also tryed an AAEN roller secondary clutch cover and helix and that seemed to be the best out of all of them but still not real good it didn't seem like i had the top end with that combo but i guess i will use it because it doesn't over-rev so bad off the the start and still revs about 8200 on top but since we havn't had any snow in the last month and a half i havn't had a chance to try that AAEN roller cover with the heavier 51.5 gram weights

i dont know what to do i guess i could try and set it up like the 97's with the polaris style reverse secondary clutch and put 48.5 gram weights in the primary and see what happens (i guess the 97's went pretty good) but i need to find a person parting out there 97 but i guess i can wait and go down to hay days and try to find one there

·
Registered
416 Posts
Sorry Rocketman, I didn't eat him. I had just had lunch and wasn't feeling up to an in between snack before supper. But what the hay, there's always tommorow. I don't think I have any bacon for breakfast left so he might suffice

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
zr580 thanks for the info i'm not really trying to get max rev's out of it . What i want it to do is when going done a straight to shift down and lower my revs. Next weekend i am going up north and the way its is runing i will run out of gas all the time. What are your normal rpms around 55 60mph.

·
Registered
442 Posts
oh a good hard packed trail mine will run about 6500-6700 rpm at about 55-60 mph but it depends how cold it is and how packed the trail is

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have you checked your primary pins, bushings and shims?  I was working on my bros 98 zr 600 this saturday with the above badly worn parts, makes a big difference when the cam arms aren't digging into the sides of the clutch LOL.

Oh yeah by the way I'm Sled_Head at Max sled.  

1 - 16 of 16 Posts