Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one travelled the trail from Cochrane to Moosonee, Ontario. WITHOUT a guide service? Gas along the way? Time to and from? Average trail conditions? Distance?

Any info on this run would be appreciated.
Thanks, Chris.
<[email protected]>

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Chris, glad to see you came over to see the good guys :D

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Welcome aboard Chris.

Sounds like a good trip. Let me know when were leaving. ;)

FishHog

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Where's the Cochrane gang hiding? The beer truck must have made it's weekly stop today. :D

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
This has been disscussed in other posts. I would not suggest it without a guide as there is river navigation to contend with and it is a bit much for a days ride, you will also have to stop and refuel/ via drop off by the railway tracks. there is a camp to stop at 1/2 way (tozers) A friend of mine has been offering guided tours to there for many years. It costs somewhere around $350CAD. I dont know what kind of machine you are running but a 1.25" x136" at least is recomended. There is also a maze of logging roads to contend with. A gps could be a lifesaver as being lost out there at night can mean certain death :0: . There Cochrane crew can tell you more but I am sure they will adivise the same just M2C

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
if you havent done the trip before it might be hard to do without a guide,you will need a detailed map of the river(70 miles of river running)when i went up in front of tozer's camp you should have seen the ice jambs went on like that for 10 miles,after that it was nice on the river but you can get lost fairly easy(our guide had to ride off upahead a few times cause he was unsure of a few things)the river is tricky ,go up one day and then the next day your tracks are blown away and you cant see where you have been the day before,and if you get caught on the river at night,or in a snowstorm...good luck you will need it...its a long day ,around 250 miles,and all depends how you drive ,we love to horse around so we were tired when arriving im moosenee,there are some very good hills up in fraserdale but we didnt have a chance to ride them due to problems with a few of the sleds,the next time i go to moosenee ill take the powerline from cochrane to fraserdale(we took snowmobile trail 1st time)TEAM RENEGADE if you guys want a trip to moosenee this winter count me in and a few more buddies,i would like to do this trip again..

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Panteraone, I take it that there are no trail markings. Probably to discourage riders?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
revrnd ,im not quite sure why the trail is not marked,but you need to arrange gas to do the trip,even to fraserdale its 100 miles one way,i guess if it was properly marked there would be a few people venturing off without knowing about gas.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
My point exactly. Mind you they could sign it that gas is not readily available.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
was just talking to a buddy who will be doing tours,and had some good info about riding up to moosnee and fraserdale,he has some good ideas,and said there is so much territory to ride up there,i know ill be learning a few new places this winter

www.northxride.com

·
Registered
154 Posts
you know guys ,the trail to moosenee isn't marked because it isn't really a trail!!! this is absolutely an extreme excursion. It's a lot of fun but if you start out ill prepared there could be some deadly consiquences. It's all fun and games till someone gets hurt a 150milles from nowhere! It's better to be well organised for this trip. Team renegade's buddy Billy , or Panteraones friends at northxride can help you make it there safe wether you use their guides or not.

·
Registered
900 Posts
It is not part of the ofsc trail system and there are 2 ways to travel, up the hydro corridor or along the tracks. My co-worker lived in moosonee for 3 years and said that the average trip from cochrane to moosonee riding steady is 5-6 hours.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
also if you hit slush on a cold night it will be horrible for the guys behind you,the open water will create a fog and the guy behind you will not see where he is,but will see the water and will be driving blind and could hit an ice ridge ???

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have friends that have done the Frazerdale trip a number of times and they would like to get to Moosnee someday . They always send someone by truck to Frazerdale with feul in the truck so they can make it back . sounds like a good trip to me but a guide would be a definate if I was going. Seen so pic's from there and some of the sites are awsome , not to mentiion no traffic ...lol

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
getting to fraserdale is no problem,even to tozers camp,its the river 70 miles to navigate,its tough if you dont know the way and at what points to cross over,we rode both sides of the river during the trip due to ice conditions

1 - 15 of 15 Posts