Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a heck of a time getting our sleds started last week. Bro resorted to getting a heat gun in Kap to rest on the y pipe & blow warm air between the cylinders & carbs for about 15 minutes. The 1st day my SDI sled started & I let it run for about 5 minutes. The rest got their sleds started, so I went to restart mine. Kill switch was on & DESS cord hadn't been moved. Nothing, starter wouldn't turn & no sound of fuel pump. Pulled the fuses out 1 by 1 & then the relays. Tried to start again & it fired up.

Talking to the service girl @ Mikey's in Timmins & she said they've replaced a lot of relays. A trick she said to try is warm up the relays before you start the sled.

The other goofy thing that would happen is that when the sled would start, all the idiot lights would stay on & the tach needle would sit @ 0 for a couple of minutes. Then the lights would go out & the tach would jump up to 1800 rpm. Headlights, etc would work right from the get go. I'd never seen this happen before. Anyone running :cussing: cold temps see this before?

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Funny things happen in bitter cold temps. From reading various sites don't think I'll venture too far without carrying a couple spare relays. Some guys are saying just tap on them to wake them up :eek:hmy:

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
What about taking the relays out at the end of the day and taking them into your room with you. Then in the morning, reinstall them and your good to go.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Talking to the service girl @ Mikey's in Timmins & she said they've replaced a lot of relays.
The other goofy thing that would happen is that when the sled would start, all the idiot lights would stay on & the tach needle would sit @ 0 for a couple of minutes. Then the lights would go out & the tach would jump up to 1800 rpm. Headlights, etc would work right from the get go.[/b]
Kris,
it seems those relays when they act up they all don't have the same characteristics. miked said that when his went all power was dead but the sled would run. mine when it went at first the speedometer would register 136 mph for a couple short bursts and straighten up. then days later along with the whacky speedometer the headlights would be dim until the brake light was used and the speedometer would go back to normal until the brake lever was released. both the speedomter and tachometer needles would bounce when i changed between low and high beam. damn thing acted like a ground problem so i took the sled apart looking for a loose ground and i kept coming back to the relay. so i called miked, after speaking to him i let the sled idle with the whacky speedometer and whacked the relay with a screwdriver. after that all things went good again so i think those relays need a spanking. you can get the relay at an auto parts jobber but i was in that going sledding mood so i went to the dealer instead to get one. when i got back to work i was delivering a new f150 and noticed the trailer brake pigtail kit that comes with the trailer tow group has a 5 prong relay same as the Doo relay in it. i want you to know that i maintained my composure while a cursed. :wink: i could see the relay that came with the f150 is not sealed same as the Doo relay but i'm sure it can be a get by.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RevIAm told me the jobber ones were cheaper. I picked up 3 in Hearst @ the Crappy Tire. the 30A 12V relay that they sell has little tab on it. Easily cut off w/ a pair of side cutters.

The 2 mornings we stored the sleds inside @ the Companion Motel in Hearst, they started on the 1st pull.

I don't think our weather was as cold last winter on our trip because never had a problem starting them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts