Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at something for my wife , I have looked at 2000 zl550 esr, a 2001 zr500 and a 2000 sno pro 440 l/c

Any comments on what to look for , any known problems , the sno pro says all updates ,what does that mean?
Thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
The 2001 ZR500 would be a great sled for your wife.  EFI is easy starting, Throttle body fuel injection will give easy throttle pull and easy on her thumb.  The 2001 ZR500 EFI makes 92 HP.  I am assuming this is an EFI model.  There is also a carb version, more power (97) and uses Flat Slide carbs, throttle pull is a little harder on the thumb. (but still a great engine)

The ZL550 only make 80HP.  The 500 is a much better engine.

I would stay away from the Sno Pro 440.  Great sled, but is really designed to be run at full throttle all of the time. (it is a race sled) Thus the Carbs are usually setup this way.  I have seen these sleds blow engines because they are not ridden hard enough.  My wife has a ZR440, she loves it, but I am on my second engine.  I ended up changing the Main jets, Pilot Jets, and needle to richen it up for trail riding.

newf

A

·
0 Posts
Stay away from the 550, it is an old motor design with low horsepower.  Go with the 500.

·
Registered
757 Posts
My wife rides a '98 500 ZR.  She loves it.  the only thing she compalins about is the throttle pull.  The throttle is a wider span and pulls harder than her 95EFI.  I would say if horepower is not an issue, the 550 wouldn't be a bad choice either.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Somthing to think about.  Im not sure about the 500 but the 550 is the loudest stock sled engine i can think of.  I just drove a 2000 550 2 weeks ago and my ears were ringing.  Its also pretty gutless compaired to some 500s.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've owned a 96 550 cougar for 2 years and a 99 zl 500 for 2 years and I liked them both. the 550 is an older motor design but is a real solid motor. decent milage and pulls well through to 70-80 mph. 500 is much quicker and more nimble on the trails with similar milage as the 550. I had 0 problems with either sled and would ride another..Steve

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I had a 97 Cougar 550 that I just sold in January.
If your wife is not a really hard driver I'm sure she'll really like the 550esr. They get good milage unless they're flogged really hard, in which case the milage is no better than a 500.

It is alittle low on horsepower, but it's got plenty of go for trail riding up to 70mph or so. After that the speed will keep climbing, but not at a very good rate.
For normal trail riding it's actually really good. I had a Black magic clutch kit and a 1.25" track on it, and it would leave ZR600's and 500's out of the hole. Of course they would blow by me like I was stopped half way down the lake, but for trail riding the power is nice.

I'd stay away from the Sno-pro unless she's a VERY aggressive driver. In addition to power characteristics that aren't teh best for trail riding, the suspension will be WAY too stiff for groomed trails.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My wife rides a 1997 340 puma deluxe. she thinks it the greatest thing on the planet. wanted to buy her a f5 firecat but doesn't want it. Guess i'll have to get one for myself.

Kipawa

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Kippawa , I wish my wife would say get yourself a new one and don't worry about me , just get me any old sled.

Keep the comment coming , I am kind of dissapointed in the snowpro , I really liked the looks of it , I wish  it would of worked out for her . This will be her first sled so I don't think she will be really aggressive yet .
Ger

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I love the looks of the Sno-pro too! It's beautiful.

If this is her first sled then the ZL550 will have more than enough power. The maximum hp numbers aren't impressive compared to modern 500's, but they're very impressive compared to any consumer 440, or any fancooled machine, and they pull great up to about 65-70mph, which is plenty fast for trail riding.
I really like the look of those ZL's too. If I'm not mistaken the 2000 model had the old style body work? I think they look really clean, and they have very nice ergonomics. The only thing about them I didn't like was the throttle lever. The shape of it I found gave me a sore thumb. But all in all a very nice machine.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about the 2001 zr 500 , it seems to be a good deal with only 700 miles?
Ger

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Hey, I bet I even know which one you're looking at. Is it at Casselman Motorsport?
I was actually going to buy that one. I had my mind made up, and plans to drive down and get it, but something came up, and a couple of days later I had decided not to spend that much money.
It is a nice sled for sure, and it is a really good deal, but in all honesty I think your wife would be happier with the ZL esr.

For my needs the ZR would've been great. I don't want reverse on a sled because it adds weight and complexity.  Most women do want reverse. For that matter most people who aren't into playing with their gearing and stuff would rather have reverse.
More importantly, the suspension on the ZR is set up very stiff, and you need to ride it fast and hard for it to be comfortable. At speeds where things are starting to get a little too rough on the ZL, the ZR is just going to be getting comfortable. Especially when the trails are getting a bit choppy, a novice rider is going to get bucked around on the ZR. An agressive rider will just give it more gas.

For myself I wouldn't consider the ZL, but if I was buying a sled for my wife to use, I wouldn't consider the ZR.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey that is one of the ones I was looking into , so do you think that is a good price or ?
It does look clean.

I have a line on a 98? zl 440 that is $3500
I don't really know prices on these
As for rev , I agree with you , I don't care alot if hers has it or not , I will just have to pull 2 back instead on mine

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Ger
I didnt read trru all of the replies but one thing is for sure DONT buy a non power valved 500 or 600 because the fuel mileage will kill ya...If you like to go for long tours the range sucks and you will be looking for fuel after 60 miles... FACT

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sled Head,

I would have to disagree about the mileage on the non powervalved 500's..... I had a 99 zl500,.... sold it to my girlfriend, and before I jetted it up two sizes I was getting around 10 mpg..... after I jetted it, I was getting around 12mpg....

At first, I thought I was getting crappy mileage, going by the fuel gauge on the tank, but when it was at 1/4, I filled it up and only put in 6 gallons.....

lets see....

10.9 gallon tank, so lets round up for easy math

6 goes into 11 roughly twice...so it was at half a tank....

I have heard of the 500's getting crappy mileage, but it depends on how you ride the sled (Wide open, or not), and the climate (warm or cold), Jetting, any mods..etc..... I personally love that ZL and would still be riding it if the woman didn't want to start riding, she MADE me buy the F5 so she could have a sled to ride all by her self!!! LOL

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Ger, I din't get to look at the ZR, I was doing the deal over the phone. It is a good price no doubt about it. If you go in with cash you'll get it for about $5300 and tax.

The ZL440 is a nice trail machine. Whether that price is good or not depends on the condition and the milage.
Also given the choice between the 550 and the 440 I would pick the 550. They use the same crank cases, weigh the same, get about the same milage and the 550 puts out an extra 15hp.

Also the non-powervalved 500's aren't that bad on fuel, though you do have to have the jetting spot on, and you should soften up the secondary so that the upshift will come sooner. Helps alot.
It doesn't help if you're trying hard to keep up with faster sleds, but like SteveCZ said, it depends on how you drive it, which is pretty much the same for any sled.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I was refering to the EFI machines.....They are terrible and that is the way it is.......Even if you compared carbed models power valved and non power valved I think you would be suprised........Cats answer to to thair fuel consumption problem was puting on an bigger tank in 2000 (remember the 13+ gallon big fat thing) so if there was no problem than why was the tank put on??

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sled Head,

Oh, sorry... didn't know you were referring to the EFI's... yeah, you're right.... and as for the bigger tank, I remember.... all I can say is that we should all praise the "POWER VALVE GOD" for giving us better mileage and smoother midrange!!! LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts