Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just ordered communicators for the group (they are not here yet) and the manufacture is recommending changing the spark plugs that I run for the best performance for the radio due to the RF some plugs produce.

Currently I have a 550 Arctic Cat with NGK plugs, they are recommending Champion Plugs. Dose anyone have any insight?

Thanks

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have no idea if this is what he was talking about, but...

I went to by spark plugs the other day, and could buy either B9ES or BR9ES. I didn't know the difference, and was informed that the BR9ES has a resistor. He then said that the B9ES will screw with communicators, whereas the BR9ES won't because it has the resistor.

Anyone know if this is true, and if so, explain it to me, because I really don't understand it...

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Both "R" prefix plugs and spark plug caps have resistors to reduce radio interference. Some ignition wires are hypalon carbon core to further help the situation.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
agreed, been running "R" ngk plugs for years with no communicator problems

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
i have never had a problem because of spark plugs i use NGK,S . i do get interference around power lines though and even picked up baby monitors when driving around a town. :)

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
123 Posts
We run Collett Communicators. If you can find them, use BR9ES Solid top plugs. Not the screw off tops. I ran into some interferance at high speeds while using the screw off tops. Sounded like a humming that you might here from a car stereo. After installing the solid tops I haven't had any problems at all. I just got back from a trip where my wife, brother, daughter and myself had communicators. We had no problems at at all. Check to make sure that you adjust your voice controls. When you get your sled motor reved up to higher rpms, the noise will break through your mics and everybody with you will here nothing but your motor. You should adjust them to where you need to speak at a elevated level. Not screaming but talking loud. They are the best investments we've made as far as sledding goes. The lead man can let you know of impending dangers well in advance!

snow_bone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts