Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got them this year...
i found it hard to understand other people sometimes, and its kinda hard to get my helmet on now

they are very convienent, however, in that the person in the back can tell the person in the front to stop, or speed up.. whatever.

i found that they do have sort of limited range, but we were in the moutains at the time which may have contributed to it.  we haven't been able to test them on the flat land around here yet, due to there being no snow.

oh yeah, and if you have more than 2 people with them, when 2 people talk over eachother you get a nasty loud screeching noise in the other comunicators.  

my $.02
- Jason

·
Registered
356 Posts
Four guys in our group (including myself)  bought these a couple years ago, we used them for one ride and sent them back.....worst piece of snowmobile equipment I ever bought. We could be out on the trail with in arms reach of each other, and not hear the other guy, all kinds of static, etc.  We played with them all day, adjusting the mic's, and tuning, squelch etc. ... we had heard they are hard to get right, and they are, I guess if you get them close there not to bad.... I'd love to have a two way radio that worked well,..... like you, I think its a great safety device. Seems like one of the sled makers would link up with motorola or other radio supplier to build a top notch communicator for sleds..I think the'd sell pretty well..... my 2 cents.... DooZ.....

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
all the big mileage users have the collett 900's and say they take some tuning but are well worth it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
For the first time, my buddy and I used our Collett communicators.  After hearing mixed reviews, I was hesitant to spend that kind of money.  I am glad we did.  We were never out of range of each other.  They can provide many benefits, but it's really nice to tell the guy behind you about huge bumps or icy/sharp corners in dusty conditions, or that you missed the turn and not to follow you.  I will never ride without them again.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had always heard that they didn't work very well, also. But i have wanted to try them out. Like you said, its nice to have warning of whats comin up. It might keep me out of the fences

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I don't know how I lived without them in the past.  My battery died a couple weeks ago on a ride.  Never realized how much it added to our fun and safety, until I didn't have it.

Colletts are very nice units, I cheaped out the first time and bought Chatterboxes.  Have not had any problems with them, but keep hearing great things about the Colletts.

FishHog

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought a set of Collette 900MHZ and all I can say is they work awsome!  It definately makes the ride funner and much safer.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The collet 900's suck! I hate mine and it was the worst investment I have ever made for sledding. They dont even go anywhere near as far as they claim and they are more hassle than what they are worth.

They wont even work when someone turns a corner 50-70 yards in fromt of me. What a joke. Then nobody can understand anyone else and we all have to ask what did you say? If you want to talk and have everyone hear you, you have to talk like you are speaking to a foreigner that cannot speak english. Then everyone argues and blames eachother and says their machine is setting off the speaker

If anyone wants it, it's for sale. I just bought it 6 months ago and used it 1 time one day for 2 hours. I payed around 150.00 us for it and I'll sell it REAL cheap.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Too bad DooZ & HPZRT, my buddy & I didn't even have to spend 5 minutes setting them up.  He would be out of my sight before he would be out of audible range.  I'm glad I took the chance and ordered them.  Have nothing negative to say about them...even the battery pack lasted from 8:00 a.m. 'til 2:30 a.m. one day/night.  I didn't even notice it was attached to my helmet while riding.  Wish you guys had better luck with them so you could really enjoy them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You guy's need to give them a full trip to get used to them,the secret is to get that mike right up against your lips.(is it wrong ). Just avoid letting friends get them that like to sing while they ride. ( ottocontrol ) I really think it is great with the safety, and if mother nature calls you don't have to chase down your friends wishing you did'nt have that last cup of coffee.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
we picked up the the motarola 6620   hand held radios with vox,  then went to radio shack and picked up the jabba mic and ear pieace,  this mike has a sitch you can grab to turn the mike on and off and we found this very nice to use.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have the collett 900's and I think they are great. They take some tweaking, and you must follow the directions EXACTLY for best results. For example, they recommend NOT using NGK plugs with them, I am using NGK's but I tried Champions like they suggest and the range is much better. If you have a group that stays reasonably close they work beautiful, but if you are always 2 miles in front of the pack, forget it. They are a great safety device, and the GWB also works good. Almost anyone I have talked to about them that had trouble found the solution to their problem by reading the instructions two or three times, things like resting the mike on your lips, or making sure the mike is oriented horizontally etc.....I have also heard battery complaints, but I was gone on a ride for about 17 hours one day, and the communicators stayed working for about 15 1/2 hours! no problems there either. My only complaints are that it makes your helmet a little more difficult to put on, and it makes it a little heavier....but you get used to both quick, in about a weekends riding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts