Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at some past posts but they didnt anwser what I want to know...

I am looking at getting a set of communicators for snowmobiling... in particular, the Collett 900. Mainly to be used just when riding with the wife.  This will be her first season with her own sled so I thought it would be good to sometimes "hold her hand" on some tougher terrain.

The question is:
I wear a "No-Fog" mask under my full face helmet that I have to put on before I put the helmet on (kinda like a balaclava). Would that cause a problem with the radio mic?

And of course... Do any of you guys use them? How are they? They worth getting?  Read some real conflicting reports and they are leaving me confused.

·
1,327 Posts
Hey Skidoows,

You could just cut a small hole in the breath deflector, I've done this with my Ski Doo Modular helmet.

There was a web page that showed you how to do this with a Collett and the modular helmet.

We just use a set of cheap handheld communicators that have mic/headphone jacks and stick them in a chest pocket.

It's not perfect but they work if you are just talking in a small group.  Not much distance capability though

A bunch of use bought them for paintball and we just put them to use on the sleds.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The mike MUST rest basically against your lips (regular balaclava is fine)....I have heard lots of complaints in the past but if you follow the directions EXACTLY they will work great, I have been very happy with mine, dont get frustrated trying to get them right, just read the instructions and follow them, things like the mike must be oriented horizontally, and if you have radio interference try different spark plugs (they recommend Champion, but I run solid terminal NGK's) and make sure the batteries are charged up well while fiddling to keep that gremlin out! I have used them on a ride for 15 plus hours until the batteries died, so extra batteries are probably not necessary, or you can go to communicaterpower.com and then you can plug them into your sled...no more battery pacs, I do not have these however so I cant comment. Definetely worth the money and the Ol lady is happy now too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm sure you won't have any problems with the mic using the no-fog mask. I still have and use the original 47Mhz communicator and it works excellent

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help...

dpaige... those cheap radios you use... How do the headsets/mic hold up?  I was considering those as well but the colletts are made to handle the moisture and cold but I wondered if a "normal" mic would just get wet and then freeze up and fail and would the ear phones plastic fail in the cold?  How do the ear pieces hold up/fit under the helmet?  My usage would be mainly just to help the wife and I wouldnt be far off from her so a short range is acceptable if its cheap enough.  None of my guy ridding buddies have radios where range might be more of an issue.  What did a cheap set put you back?  I live in the city where the Colletts are manufactured and can get a set of their standard 900MHZ model for a pretty good price.

Just checking out all the options...

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Just like Slarson said, the mic has to rest on your lips at all times; as long as you do what you have to to make that happen, you're fine.  Also like Slarson said, follow the directions and they are awesome.  I've read here before that some people didn't like them and couldn't get them to work...don't know what their problems were, but my buddy and I bought ours last year and they've worked perfectly every time from the first time we went out with them.  I would never do without them again.  It's priceless to be able to tell the people behind you what to expect ahead on the trail, especially in dusty conditions when you can't always see the guy in front of you due to powder flying.  I just ordered 6 more 900's yesterday for our wives and the rest of the group.  Go to Collett's website and call them...their prices have dropped tremendously.  I feel sorry for the guys who don't take the time to set them up and use them properly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I absolutely love my Collette communicator.  My friend and I use them on our snowmobiles and motorcycles.  They are the best and you will not be dissappointed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts