Snowmobile World banner

Complete Michigan Trail Maps And Public Land Maps For Gps

24K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  jtkennedy9 
#1 ·
I just got a new GPS mapping program for my Garmin and thought I'd share my comments. The mapping software is from vvmapping.com. I've loaded it and this it what I've found so far:

All land with a green background is public land. I quickly looked up my families 80 acres near Comins, MI that's surrounded by state land, and sure enough the 80 acres shows up as private. Nice!

I checked the trail accurany down in Southwestern Lower Michigan by where I live and the trails seem to be in the right locations. I did find two sections shown that weren't even trail sections, but mapping errors by the DNR.

THE TRAILS ARE NUMBERED!!!! Yes, when glancing at your gps you will see a trail number, just like if you were driving your car on a highway. This is a very nice feature.

The base map under the trail has tons of info. It looks like all roads show up, even 2 tracks. The snowmobile trails show up as black when viewed in Mapsource, but they are red when viewed on my GPS unit (etrex Legend Cx). Where a trail goes down a road or 2 track, the road/2 track shows up on top of the trail so you know your on a road.

For $45 this is the best software I've seen out there. I like being able to share free tracks at gpsmaps.com too. But I have not seen anything out there that has ALL of Michigan snowmobile trail maps.

I give it 4.9 out of 5 stars. This looks like the best gps software for off trail riding too. The green background will give me some assurance that I'm not trespassing when going down that untracked 2 track.

Tony

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I just bought the vvmapping product and discovered this is Jeramey Valley's company. Jeramey spent years creating gps maps for the CCC (Michigan Cycle Conservation Club). I have used the motorcycle trail maps and Upper Pennisula dual sport route that he put together. His products have always been accurate and easy to use. The snowmobile maps loaded easily just like I expected. If you want to purchase a gps map product I highly recomend this one.

#9 ·
What kind of GPS units are you guys running? I've been considering buying one, but would like one thats easy to use because I am not that tech savy...Not to hyjack the thread, but if I got one, I would definatley buy this program![/b]
If you are interested in this particular map program, you would need a Garmin. I use a 60CX - it's also the one I generally recommend.

Garmin units are pretty easy to use. You can make it complicate or you can just turn it on, hit the page button twice to get to the map screen and then away you go. No other functions to worry about, the map shows, your point on the map is displayed by the triangle in the middle of the screen. Map moves "underneath" you as you move.

#10 ·
What kind of GPS units are you guys running? I've been considering buying one, but would like one thats easy to use because I am not that tech savy...Not to hyjack the thread, but if I got one, I would definatley buy this program![/b]

Lowrance ifinder Expedition w/ this software Eric!

GPS SLED MAPS.COM This BTW is FREE!!!!!

Good luck with your choice buddy! Garmin is a great unit also
I just wanted a bigger screen! Later Dave

Attachments

#11 ·
Thanks Dave...I'm just beginning to look...still need to wire up an acc. plug and such on my sled...Too bad I deleated the battery :)!

Is it real easy to use? Thats what I need...I'm dumb with stuff like that, and don't want to read the whole manual...HAHAHAHA I'll read it eventually...but I'd like to be able to start using it right away ya know? What do you have for a mount there Dave? My handlebars are diff. But just to get an idea...

#12 ·
Thanks Dave...I'm just beginning to look...still need to wire up an acc. plug and such on my sled...Too bad I deleated the battery :) !

Is it real easy to use? Thats what I need...I'm dumb with stuff like that, and don't want to read the whole manual...HAHAHAHA I'll read it eventually...but I'd like to be able to start using it right away ya know? What do you have for a mount there Dave? My handlebars are diff. But just to get an idea...[/b]
I'm pretty dumb myself! :crazy: I still don't know alot of this GPS stuff
but I doo get by! FYI I just Run Energizer rechargeable batteries in mine
no need to wire anything! :wink: It lasts ALL day and I turn the light on
for night riding! I absolutly had no issues on battery power last season!
My Unit is pretty easy to use! The software will cost you about
99.00 depending on what you do. I bought mine as a package deal @
GPSCITY.COM Anything else buddy??? -Dave
Get a good RAM mount you know how I ride RIGHT? :thumbsup:

Attachments

#13 ·
Thanks for all the help Dave...Maybe I'll get some $$$$ for christmas and look into buying a unit of some sorts...I like the idea of AA batteries...Seems like the best option unless I hard wire something in...I'll be searching and reading lots...For that 99.00 what did you get? The topo maps or road bases or something? Looked like that 45.00 package which was posted up above would have all I would need....Just need trails and that state forest land would be helpful for sure....Thanks for your help!

#14 ·
Thanks for all the help Dave...Maybe I'll get some $ for christmas and look into buying a unit of some sorts...I like the idea of AA batteries...Seems like the best option unless I hard wire something in...I'll be searching and reading lots...For that 99.00 what did you get? The topo maps or road bases or something? Looked like that 45.00 package which was posted up above would have all I would need....Just need trails and that state forest land would be helpful for sure....Thanks for your help![/b]
I have the Topo software has every 2 track and forest trail you could ever imagine
but NO state trails yet! very very detailed me likie! :thumbsup:
I guess we hyjacked this thread Eric Eh? LOL

#16 ·
i have the garmin topo cd and the vvmapping cd has more detail on it and for $20 more you can have all the orv trail. get the garmin and the vvmapping cd and that is all you will need the garmin 60 and the 76 are nice gps units if you don't want to spend the cash for the 276c.
if you get a gps get one with a color display the b/w display are hard to see.

#17 ·
Well I did it! I finally got a GPS and the software from VVmapping. I'd like to thank jaramey for countless emails back and forth to me yesturday, and your guys help through reading here....I ordered the Garmin Legend HCX, VVMapping's sled maps, and of course a RAM Mount for the SLeD! Thanks guys!

#18 ·
Well I did it! I finally got a GPS and the software from VVmapping. I'd like to thank jaramey for countless emails back and forth to me yesturday, and your guys help through reading here....I ordered the Garmin Legend HCX, VVMapping's sled maps, and of course a RAM Mount for the SLeD! Thanks guys![/b]

Nice! Now it's time to ride!

I know that there are free Michigan trail maps available out there (and they're really good too), but the package Jeramey put together is pretty nice.

Tony

#20 ·
I agree! Jeramey V was a great help to me even before I bought my GPS. Answered questions that did not pertain to HIS product. I got the Nuvi 260 with the color touchscreen. It has a slot for an SD card, which I also got from VVMapping. I can load all the maps onto the GPS without having to pick which area I am riding. I don't know if that is possible with the other GPS's out there. It has a 4.3" screen for easy reading, because my eyes are getting bad and I won't have to get out my reading glasses at every stop to look at the tiny writing on trail maps. One drawback is that it is not waterproof. I think I will put a sandwich bag or something similar over it and plug it into my accessory outlet and hope it doesn't get tore up. I haven't used it on the trail yet, but it has been great in the truck. I hope that I get a chance to try it out this weekend around the Indian River area with the software. I'll be back with a little review if all goes well.

#22 ·
Nothing but great things to say about this software. We were mostly off-trail in Wetmore, but it helped to see the trail system and use it as an direction indicator. The color coding also helped us to stay off private property. I'm going to be using it again this weekend in Cadillac and will get a better article up after another use.

JT

#23 ·
Nothing but great things to say about this software. We were mostly off-trail in Wetmore, but it helped to see the trail system and use it as an direction indicator. The color coding also helped us to stay off private property. I'm going to be using it again this weekend in Cadillac and will get a better article up after another use.

JT[/b]
Jeff,

Do you have the version with the trail showing up as a wide yellow line with a red border? The first version I had was a small red line that could be hidden by forest roads and got a little confusing at times. When I first got the program we went to Cadillac. We were off trail in Cadillac and when I zoomed out to see where the trail was to get our bearings it was hard to find. The latest version is much easier to read.

I used mine in Wetmore a couple weeks ago too and had a blast!

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.