Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question alongtime ago and forgot what the compression was.
My sled was tested and the results are
132, 135, 132
Is this resonable for a 2000 Mach Z stock.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I was certain that mine tested out to 150 in all three.  Maybe im wrong.  Can anyone back me up.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I think the ceiling compression for all stock SkiDoos is 150. Ski Dood...as long as they are all withing 10% of each other they should be fine. mid-130s sounds good to me. My 670 is at about 145 on both sides.

(not that it matters what the comp on my 670 is, but I knew the number so I had to put it in there somewhere  
)

Last edited by Rocketman at June 07, 2002, 9:17pm

Z

·
0 Posts
That is a very tough question to answer.   Because it is hard to find two compression gauges,  that read the same.    I know I pressure test my gauge quite often to make sure it has retained it's accuracy.    

So, providing you have an accurate gauge,  you sled should be reading about 150 lbs per cylinder.   Rotax says 10% below the 150,  which equals 135 lbs  is the very minimum allowable compression for that motor.       

If the motor is stock and your gauge is accurate,  and you find your compression is in the mid 130's,   then you may want to inspect the rings.    Remember the shorter the gauge,  usually the more accurate it is..   The gauges on the longer hoses,  are usually less accurate.      

Z....

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
My 2000 800 say's 150 on my gauge but 140 on ZMachMan's.
I would tend to believe his because it is a high quality gauge which I believe can make the difference in a decision to re-ring or not. To me, 135 sounds ok, heck look at a triple Polaris,
they run in the teen's.
Your best bet is to buy a high quality gauge or borrow one that you know is accurate. Once you established the diff. between the two you can allways use your gauge and add or subtract the diff. IMO.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
A cly. leak down test is the best way to uccurately check rings and cly condition.  Under $70.00 in the summit catalog.
Buy one and throw your compression gauges away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just remember he is an extreme snowmobiler. Aircraft mechanics use the  leakdown process, so in my humble opinion it is probably the most revealing and accurate method.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts