Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed the oil in the line from my oil tank to where it enters the engine by the rave valve looks a little milky.The tank was a little below half full over the summer and the sled really was not used last year.I'm using ski=doo brand injection oil and have never seen this before.I'm assuming condensation has formed in the tank or something and contaminated the oil.Anyone ever had this happen? :( By the way this is a 97 MXZ 670

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
oldyeller,
i have heard some have had the problem and i think it is becuase the oil tank is not full.

put in your location unless you are running from the law :sleeping:

·
Registered
221 Posts
If your oil is milky chances are very good that the seal is gone between the rotary valve and water pump. The water pump is behind the rotary valve. This happens at times on rotary engines. I have had it happen before to myself and numerous others have as well. It can be repaired without removing the engine but I would HIGHLY recommend taking it to a Ski Doo mechanic as they have a tool for installing the seal in its recess. Takes a couple of hours. Unless the shaft is damaged(very unlikely) it can be repaired in a couple of hours in frame. But don't run the engine too long like this as the coolant will get in the engine!

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Yep..same thing happened to me, on the exact same sled. You need to get that one in to a mechanic to get the rotary shaft seal replaced because what actually happened is coolant has been mixed with the oil. Since the guy will have to split the case to fix it properly, might as well have the whole engine inspected :( Been there man..it sucks

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man that sucks if the cases have to be split.Sounds like lots of money at a dealership.I never even thought of the seal I will have to check my anti-freeze and see if its low.I don't have the sled here I leave it at the cottage near Bancroft Ontario.Nice to see lots of Ontario boys here.looks like a cool site.My whole family rides ski-doos and we have never had this type of problem before.Thanks for the reply's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts